Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am keeping 6 for breeding. Seven are going to freezer camp around Labor day, dH is on vacation that week so we get to butcher. The rest have to grow up a bit more before they go to camp. I think at least 10 are crowing. Seems like everyday another one starts trying to crow. I hate to process the Barred Rocks since they are from such great stock.

Quote:
That happened to my daughter once. And being the great mom I am I laughed my bum off and took a photo.
lol.png

However, we were a bit late getting the ladies and gents in tonight and they were not happy. I've got bites/pecks all over my legs.
hmm.png

It got to the point that I just started hauling them like footballs and if I got cornered I did a crazy chicken foot up in the air to block dance.
roll.png

Thank you, I so needed a laugh tonight. I have been there and did that same dance!!

i love that my chickens put themselves to bed. I actually had to pick one of my fav hens up from the bottom of the coop run and put her in. She kept sitting in laying position... SO I picked her up and put her in the nesting box. She was so nice about letting me pick her up too, she actually came to me and let me get her, almost like she was thankful she didn't have to walk up the ramp... But they only get tiffy if the brat boy closes the door while he's playing...

Quote:
Mine go in the coop like clock work every night. I go out and lock their door so they are tucked in and safe from any would be prediator.
Tonight I went to do my routine and for some reason they were all roosting on the lower roost. No biggie. As I was exiting the coop I heard a strange noise that seemed to be scratching. What the heck was that. Again I hear this strange noise and again. Head count, yep they are all there. Scratching noise again and another head count. I yell for my HD to come out....Something is under the coop it sounds like. DH comes out with flashlight, nope nothing there. DH peaks in the coop says it's clear, nothing there. Ok nothing there...but what the heck was that noise? I peak back in the coop before I lock the door and realize the scratching noise I heard was coming from my gals shifting themselves on the roost. Noise sounded foreign because usually they are on the roost above my head and not on the lower one. Ha, ha, silly me.....first time I actually was scared that something was trying to get my girls!

Quote:
My DH says they remind him of old fashioned ladies in the long dresses that have to hike the dress up to their knees to run. lol

I think they look like speed skaters, how they hold their hands togerher behind thier backs and take the long strides.

Quote:
Mine go to the coop every night and do the jumps from level to level to get up high on the shelf.
I wonder what they will do when I move the coop to inside the garage as the weather cools.

My little vorwerk hen died. She just couldn't keep her body heat up on her own and get her strength up enough to really drink or eat significantly. So sad. I HATE if when that happens and you don't know why. Thanks for the advice, etc.
bethanyrae

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom