Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had a large hawk hanging around the chicken pen for the last several days. Yesterday I heard a commotion and looked out to see him BAM into the poultry netting over the top of the run. Chickens and feathers flying, squawking, hysterics; hawk flew up in a nearby tree for further study of the situation. I think it is a young bird, he is very handsome but perhaps not bright. Sooo glad I invested in the heavy-duty netting.

I thought I had my first predator loss yesterday. I let my chickens free range when I am home, but we had to leave in the late afternoon to meet some family members for dinner in Traverse City. I had 8 of them rounded up and in the coop, but there was no sign of Betty. I walked all around the property shaking the treats can and couldn't see or hear her. We finally left and all I heard on the way up there from my husband was that something had gotten her and would be back tomorrow for another. I couldn't enjoy the dinner at all, and got us out of there just in time to get home at dark. I was very relieved and happy to find Betty sitting in front of the coop door wondering why everyone was inside except her.

Sorry bout your vorwek Bethanyrae.

I haven't had a predator loss yet... Unless you count Rotten Ruby as a predator and not just a dang puggle. LOL.

Has anyone put sand in their coop? My coop is 2 1/2 feet off the ground.... Put sand in like cat litter and just use the straw for the nest boxes? Or should I not cuz the pine shavings help generate heat during decomposition? Opinions anyone?

Good morning all
smile.png

Bethanyrae, so sorry to hear about the little one. It just sucks.

On a better note--YAY Betty for being there when HickChick got home! I would have been crushed to leave for dinner too. Sometimes I can't believe how much of my brain is now focused on CHICKENS! Actually feeling guilty for school to start and leave them all day. Oy Vey.

I have a few pairs of Columbian Rock bantams for sale. This year's hatch birds. If anyone is interested pm me. Everyone enjoy this Friday.

While we're on the topic of stuff for sale - I have a great chicken tractor for sale in SE MI. We're moving to a new house on a rather steep hill, so my girls are getting a stationary coop. I put an ad in the "other stuff for sale" section, or you can PM me for more details. I've got an ad up on craigslist, too - lots of nibbles but no bites (and lots of offers to send me a money order if I'll ship it to Nigeria)

Karin, hoping she isn't breaking any rules
smile.png

Quote:
I have had a couple show up around my place lately. The other evening as I walking back toward the house from my field when I saw one silently sailing through the air at a fairly low level. Panic.....my flock was free ranging. They are smart chickens because the second one noticed the hawk they all scurried for cover in the garden or near a pine tree. I then decided to hand pick each one and put them back in the coop early for the night.

You can get that shiny holographic ribbon, stretch it across your open area, and the hawks don't like it. And it looks like a party.
cool.png
And I've heard there's a certain type of fishing line that catches the light, and they don't like that either.
Works in my open run for my Large Fowl. But my bantees run everywhere.
bethanyrae

There was a blurb in this morning's paper about a rooster on the Zilwaukee bridge (Free Press page 8A).
A state trooper tried to catch him but the roo jumped of the bridge and safely made it to Crow Island State Game Area.

Way to go Roo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom