Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice pens Farmerboy! I think if I were you, I'd give the pine needles a try. Something I've done occasionally is dump out a bag of pine pellets into the run and let them turn into sawdust.

muttsfan, that is the cutest little rooster I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks, here is the upclose of the pen-
chickens584.jpg

The bedding is yellowed alfalfa hay, I grabbed the bale, thinking it was straw. Oh well...
roll.png

Well, I think the lights are darn near 15 yrs old. My dad had gotten it for a display case when he was selling off my grans antiques. She was quite the pack rat, and I promise I will never EVER do that! If I remember correctly thou, the light would be on all day over woods, paintings, prints and never got hot. Something that had to be considered carefully so the light wouldn't fade things... Which is good now, because I didn't want it for heat, just to turn on at 6 am till 8 am or so.

Miss Legs is my white leggern, her comb is very red and flopped over, she's six months now... I hope she's not laying in the yard if she is laying... I'd never find them!

About the teflon, I had heard previous to being on this site that it was bad for birds and that I shouldn't have my keet in my kitchen. I had her in the kitchen for 8 yrs, Cuz all my kitchens have had the best windows. Yup, had teflon coated pans too... I always thought she lived quite a long time for a house keet. I know people can have them live up to 20 yrs, well, she half way made it there... Huh... I will check the bulbs thou tomorrow to see what they say on them.

Gotta share a stink eye... Mr. Fluffers gave me this evil eye after I took Big head away from him. He was pecking at her cuz she was sitting next to Buffy and he wanted her to move so he was being a jerk...
102729_nov06_004.jpg

Salmon Faverolle. This is the first time he ever gave me the stink eye. LOL. He is the sweetest guy normally. I love him too. My mom doesn't. She thinks he is too loud especially when he gets in the garage under her bedroom and crows! HEEHEE. He sneaks in thru the cat door along with all the other chickenses and raids the cat food dish.

Oh my, Nova, I love that photo! Look at those poofy cheeks!

Well, I thought I'd share a few photos myself. I wanted to show my new green egg so I took a pic of it with the different shades of the other eggs I get.
83798_img_5479.jpg

And the girl who laid it is Pretty Lady. She's the one behind my EE roo Newton.
83798_img_5114.jpg

@Grandma, I folded the ends of the plastic over and nailed fence staples (lots of them) to secure it. I thought about putting a 2x4 along the edges and screwing it over the plastic but I'm thrifty and I already had the staples. Having the plastic as tight as possible so it doesn't flap around helps, too.

87657_002.jpg

87657_003.jpg

87657_004.jpg

Proof that BOs actually lay eggs.
lol.png

This is Extra in the nest box. I thought it was Crispy who gave me the egg yesterday but I wasn't sure. The egg arrived in the afternoon so I'm crossing my fingers that this will be a 4 egg day.
fl.gif

Last edited:
Grandma you can also take the edge of the plastic and roll it around a thin piece of lumber, like a firring strip, and then screw through the plastic and strip to attach it to the wall. Roll it around several times so that it holds well. If you roll it to the outside instead of the inside, the holes in the plastic will be inder the strip and the tarp will be less likely to tear. It also helps if you put a few boards across the middle if it is a large area, this keeps the plastic from flapping.
I do not tarp my run in, just throw a flake of straw down on the snow when it is colder, and let them run in or out as they choose. The only weather they really dislike is a cold, hard northern wind. I am fortunate to have lots of trees around my house to break the wind, though.

87657_egg1.jpg

87657_egg2.jpg

I think I should pass out cigars....This is today's production!
Upper left - Broil (BSL)
Upper right - Crispy (BO)
Lower right - Extra Crispy (BO)
Lower left - Broast (BSL)

They got a double handful of mealworms for a job well done. Nugget and Gravy got the treats too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom