Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad you found something you feel good about. BYCer Menglish has a beautiful herd of Dexters, too. Make sure you read up on Chrondodysplasia and ask about the status of the cow(s) you buy. Looks like they've got some in their herd.

I realize that I may be playing a game with fate but I havent seperated my broodies or mamas from the flock- Mama has always kept the chicks close, and the flock at a distance- it hasnt been a problem. Is it possible the little chick fit through chicken wire and got lost somewhere? :( Im sorry, it sure is sad, isnt it- to lose one, especially hard when you dont know what happened.

My Mama and her babies still have a nest in the dog crate and an area blocked off with their waterer, heat lamp and feeder with medicated chick feed in it, but I took the door off the enclosure and they come and go and the rest of the flock can wander in to their area at will. Mama goes out in the run from time to time and the babies run after her. She is very protective of them and I have not seen any of the other chickens mess with them at all. The two roosters totally ignore them. The chicks are 24 days old now and I'm delighted that everyone seems to be getting along so well.

I'm here Opa. Just drinking my tea and catching up on the 30 posts from last night. I am beginning to wonder if the sandman took me off of his route. Maybe I forgot to pay that bill??
Today my nephew would have been 26 years old.

Chickmate, I am glad your little ones are doing well.

Last edited:
I have a chick from the Valentine's Day Hatch!
celebrate.gif
I had gotten my hova bator back from the family that was using it to hatch eggs from me for a homeschool project. I was going to plug it in, so it can heat up, and add water, when my mom said that she hears something peeping. I quickly looked in the LG, and saw that the mutt egg had zipped part way, but it had the worst case of shrink wrap and stickiness I have ever seen. The humidity was about 20 percent. I had to help the chick out, and got the hova fired up, and water added. It was at 97 degrees with 87 percent humidity within minutes!
woot.gif
Then moved the chick and 3 Tomaru eggs in the hova. As I was moving the Tomaru eggs, I felt one tapping the shell!
ya.gif
Lockdown was yesterday, so the chick hatched 2 days early.

woot.gif
Congrats! [does that mean that you are ready for more eggs??]

A while back I posted about hoping to buy the neighbors foreclosed property.. It had 3 parcels and amounted to about 14 acres. Well before the old neighbors left they had mentioned the bank was trying to take 10 of the acres that they owned outright.. and that was listed with the property when sold. (we kinda thought they were full of it cause they were always drunk off their keisters) Now, I feel bad for the new neighbor as he was under the assumption that he was getting all that land and the garage which now isn't his, nor is half his driveway, he's reduced to 4 acres, not going to have the farm and horses he was hoping to have. So, I'm grateful we didn't end up buying it after all.

Welcome Jennifer
frow.gif

I've been looking into Dexters as well. At this time though I just don't want to mess with one.

Last edited:
well been gone for the weekend, only 208 posts to go but can't sit her all day and read, so, will catch up later,
The class is in Lowell. (Wittenbach/Wege Center in Lowell) Registration ended on Wednesday but I don't think the class is full. Love Ginger and Ale :)

will call today, thanks for the info!! Lowell is 15min. from were I live. yeah. love this site,
yippiechickie.gif

1muttsfan is right. Most broad spectrum antibiotics will enhance, not control, a yeast infection. Feed through Nystatin and copper sulfate are common treatments for crop thrush.

IMO you need to find an alternate vet. Illness does not abide by business hours and vacation schedules; if you take on the responsibility of animal stewardship you need to be prepared to work outside them as well.

vets can vary greatly in $$ as well what they know about chickens. a good vet is worth the wait. and most old timeres would say, if it is sick cull it, we here on this sight tend to baby our flocks which is why I love it but.......

I'm with you, Opa. I do the crosswords every day. I like the challenge of the Sunday NYT crossword, I have even managed to finish a few.

Babigyrl, I would love to take the beekeeping class just to see how they teach it. I learned from a commercial bee farmer and his father. The old man had some peculiar ways dating back to the 30's.

BobBry, I should start raising my own mealworms, care to share some tips. I don't have the time to read all of the post on that forum.

Olive, let's have that hop soda and watch the discussion about raw milk unfold. We could use a forum dust-up, it's been pretty polite here for a while.
hugs.gif
We could stand a rise in blood pressure.
somad.gif
Last big difference of opinion that I remember was the Christian/Pagan discussion a few months ago. Besides, I like stirring the pot sometimes.
yippiechickie.gif

Back to polite and cute...The Uggos are now named Ginger and Pepper. Thanks for the help.

And lastly, I found this on FB this morning. http://www.heritage.com/articles/20...oc4f319c557ecfe370694379.txt?viewmode=default

maybe they should take a chicken in a cat cage and demonstrate the horrible nois a chicken makes since that was one of their concerns. what ould you rather have next to you, a couple barking dogs or 10 NOISY hens
lol.png

Raz like your names,

on another note...

Ever want to smack someone repeatedly, oh lets say your spouse, upside the head with a really big listen to your wife, smart stick? Anyone................ERRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr!!
barnie.gif

many times, Kids,co-workers,-spouse, and they, most likely with me
lau.gif

X2 on the "You are what you eat."

I also have found that the less processed foods and sugars a kid has really has an effect on their psychological behaviors. A lot of children in the schools who are eating the cheap prep foods are now diagnosed with ADD/ADHD. My sister, older that is, had both of her kids on the typical American diet. Both boys were diagnosed with ADD and put on ridalin. I talked her into giving my treatment a try instead, cutting out anything and everything that came in a box, freezer foods, processed feed. Avoiding foods with added sugars, HFCS, Slenda/nutrasweet, (er kids were diet pop freaks) concentrated fruit juices with 10%juice... and go with 100%. Why? Cuz when I was diagnosed with BP, I was prescribed Depakote. HECK NO! I got it, read the side effects and went to the library to learn how to do this naturally. Note, I did work with my doctor and councelor for this. I got to work studying, and came across an article that shows food relations to mental issues. So, I started studying in that vein, and since then, I got my sister to change how she feeds her kids, my dad, when he was with us, changed how he ate, but unfortunetly damage was already done to both his heart, and diabetes, kidneys failure, to do much good for his body health, but it did help the mental, and I think in the long run, it did prolong his life. My kids do not eat boxed dinners. We avoid processed sugars, GMOs, ect... you get the picture... That is why we started growing our own produce. I do not use any chemicals on them. I let my chickens do what they should do and supplement that with a quality feed. I buy meat that is hormone free, and milk that is hormone/antibody free. Our schools here are starting to get on the band wagon. I just wish that the powers that be would not allow persons on Food Stamp to purchase such things as pop, candy, junk food.. I hate looking at someones grocery bill when I am in line and find that my tax dollars are helping them to pig out on junk foods, and little to no fresh produce. I am happy that WIC has now started providing funds for fresh produce. I think kids would be a lot better off if fresh homemade was more easily affordable for a lot of people versus hamburger helper and banquet...

Ok... I will get off the pulpit... This is just my opinion, and sorry if I offend any one.
nice band wagon Nova, I agree, many of our health problems come from what is added to our foods

A lady in a quilt shop once assured me the earlier puberty we see in kids these days is due to the superior nutrition they're getting. You'll all be proud to know I bit my tongue and refrained from rolling around on the floor laughing. It was a day on which I had a particular amount of self control, thank goodness.
lau.gif
good job Olive, I usually say nothing then latter wish I had.. age also helps the over reserved loosen up
yesss.gif

A girl from school just posted this about me on FB, "Bio student by day, chicken bandit by night."

I like the chicken bandit,,, but they are most likely right. groper is more accurate.
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
woot.gif
Congrats! [does that mean that you are ready for more eggs??]
Not quite, I have 2 little giant full of eggs, and a hova just for hatching. Maybe you can hatch them for me, and I can help you with the sand, when I pick up the chicks when they have hatched?
I'm glad you found something you feel good about. BYCer Menglish has a beautiful herd of Dexters, too. Make sure you read up on Chrondodysplasia and ask about the status of the cow(s) you buy. Looks like they've got some in their herd.
Thanks Olive, I have looked up on that, and emailed them about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom