Might this be a cockerel? (age and breed unknown šŸ˜ž)

Peeps n Bees

Songster
7 Years
May 12, 2015
Albany, NY
Hello! A relative brought us a mixed-breed and mixed-age flock of pullets (?) from someone she knows. They're supposedly pullets, but I have my suspicions. But I don't have much experience sexing chickens. Could this one be a cockerel? The waterfall of feathers near the tail and slightly curving tail makes me think maybe, but the saddle feathers (if that's what they are) are pretty wide.

I unfortunately don't know the breed or age.

I don't have better pictures right now. They're all pretty skittish and won't let me get too close yet.

Attachments

• 20210721_173740.jpg
    20210721_173740.jpg
    722.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210721_173742.jpg
    20210721_173742.jpg
    643.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210721_175126.jpg
    20210721_175126.jpg
    501.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210721_175045.jpg
    20210721_175045.jpg
    554.7 KB · Views: 26
How does it look like a male?
The tail. So you can tell he is at least 10 weeks old by how much feathers he has. The roosters get their tails in starting 8 or 9 weeks. His tail is very little developed. Therefore I can tell he is most likely a boy. Are all the chicks the same age? If so can you get a picture of another one form the side. Just to compare. But I could be wrong. My friend had a Orpington and we thought it was a boy for the longest time. Then he laid an egg. So I am definitely not a expert.

The tail. So you can tell he is at least 10 weeks old by how much feathers he has. The roosters get their tails in starting 8 or 9 weeks. His tail is very little developed. Therefore I can tell he is most likely a boy. Are all the chicks the same age? If so can you get a picture of another one form the side. Just to compare. But I could be wrong. My friend had a Orpington and we thought it was a boy for the longest time. Then he laid an egg. So I am definitely not a expert.
Tails are not an accurate way to sex them. As you found out with the Orp. Everything so far about this bird says pullet.

Hello! A relative brought us a mixed-breed and mixed-age flock of pullets (?) from someone she knows. They're supposedly pullets, but I have my suspicions. But I don't have much experience sexing chickens. Could this one be a cockerel? The waterfall of feathers near the tail and slightly curving tail makes me think maybe, but the saddle feathers (if that's what they are) are pretty wide.

I unfortunately don't know the breed or age.

I don't have better pictures right now. They're all pretty skittish and won't let me get too close yet.
Looks like a pullet to me, I have a bunch of pullets growing up and they all have blue-ish tails, it's from their RIR genes.
The tails were tricking me at first, but none have looked like the ones we raised before this batch.
The crest also gives her away, as most roosters will have a very prominent comb.

Back
Top Bottom