Migraines!!!!

A Carolina Chick

Songster
11 Years
Apr 16, 2008
NC
I have suffered from migraines for years and have tried everything to get rid of them. I have taken all of the preventatives, I can't take imitrex, and when they are extremely bad...I have to inject myself with Toradol. I have been to several neurologists, a chiropractor, and a GP. BC Powder is a no no, but it usually works for me. Do any of you suffer from migraines? What do you do?

okay, migraines are officially the worst thing ever. The worst. thing. ever.

I have to go now - was about to log off when I saw your post, but I will be certain to log back on and check in on you later this eve or first thign tomorrow morning.

Feelin' for you,

I started seeing a reflexologist and it has been a great help and I get them less frequent.

I'm so sorry. I've never had one and am thankful as I understand how unbelievably debilitating and painful they are through friends.

My 8 yr. old daughter does get them! I feel so helpless for her. We have learned for my daughter that her biggest trigger is not eating on a regular schedule. She eats more often and sooner than the rest of the family to help keep them at bay.

I get them, but only as a reaction in a food allergy. I am allergic to red wine and shrimp. Both of them gave me awful migraines. They are awful, and I hope you find relief soon.
hugs.gif

It is strange....BC powder was one of the few things that used to help mine. That and, this is really strange.....Reeses Peanut Butter Cups...I have no clue why. Probably something about the protein, sugar, caffeine....who knows. Fortunately mine stopped when I got pregnant with my oldest son and never returned...tells me it was hormonal. Now I just get cluster headaches....LOL..."just". They are bad and come on for days and days but are not quite as debilitating as migranes. I hope you can find a way to deal with yours.

Quote:
My first migraine was during the birth of my first child. I did have a seizure during childbirth also. I did not have eclampsia. I suffered from them terribly until I became pregnant with my second child. During my whole pregnancy I did not have a single headache! I am unable to have another child, though it would be tempting if I could. I get migraines before storms, hurricanes, when I smell tar (paved roads or tarring roofs), around my cycle, and if I don't eat , drink enough water, or get enough sleep. The Arthritis strenght BC powder usually works for me, but all of the neurologists that I have had fussed at me and warned my about rebound migraines. My experience is that it either works or it doesn't. If it does work, I do not get another headache later. If it doesn't work, it is a really bad one and only the Toradol shot will work and that may not work. I build up a tolerance to most meds, so I do not want to build up a tolerance to the BC or the Tordal. I am willing to try a 3rd option if I can find one that works for me.

*A Carolina Chick* :

I have suffered from migraines for years and have tried everything to get rid of them. I have taken all of the preventatives, I can't take imitrex, and when they are extremely bad...I have to inject myself with Toradol. I have been to several neurologists, a chiropractor, and a GP. BC Powder is a no no, but it usually works for me. Do any of you suffer from migraines? What do you do?

I am 33 and I have suffered with "barometric pressure migraines" since I was about 6 years old that I remember. It took until I was 18 or 19 to realize what the cause was. I did food diaries, tried vitamin supplement therapies, added things in & took things out of my diet and life. You name it, I tried it to figure out what the cause was. It wasn't until I started to do a weather journal, after I eliminated every other cause, that I found out what was causing them. The pressure in the atmoshere/storm systems, etc. cause me to suffer the greatest pain and suffering I can imagine. I just call them the migraines from hell. Imitrex, zomig and Maxalt all work ok if I take one pretty fast when I can tell one is coming, but sometimes I am just left to suffer through it. If I take a pill too late, it can take a couple hours to really help at all. I do best on 25 mg's of Imitrex...it's just enough to work, but not too much to make me sick (side effects like dizziness, blackouts, etc. on too high of a dose). I prefer to buy Imitrex 100mg pills so I can get the best value. I split the 9 pills into thirds and quarters to get more mileage out of them since the rx is $250.00-otherwise, you're paying the same price for lesser mg's-why not get higher mg's and split them?
smile.png
I just got a prescription card now though that brought the price down to $175 for the 9 pills. Anyway, pay close attention to the weather patterns and rise and fall of the barometric pressure where you are. I know no one hears of these often, but they exist, (I personally know 3 other people who get them) and they are not hormonal or stress related, they are strictly weather related. Keep us posted on whether or not you figure it out...oh, and by the way, most doctors have no education in this type of migraine, but when they do the research, they can really help you get on the best pain management for them. I am curious about your situation and I hope I am some help to you...what is the reason that you can't take imitrex? Just wondering...I know the side effects very well and would be interested to know how they affected you. Oh, and the first signs I get that a migraine is coming are: sudden fatigue, sudden, excessive yawing and some feeling of pain and pressure building in my head.....then all hell breaks loose! :|​

I've tried all the migraine specific meds, imitrex, maxalt, and others, they all send me into a full blown migraine. I have had to learn my triggers. I try to limit exposure to florescent lights, strawberries, bananas, wine, nitrite/nitrates in processed foods and drinks, raisins, chocolate, perfumes, bleach, smelly stuff in general. Snack on something healthy all day - which I have yet managed to do. Polarized sunglasses, cut back on headaches a lot - reflections off water, glass, windshields... Avoid driving towards sunrise/sunsets. Before I end up at the doctors for the torodal shot, I try cool dark room with either cool or warm cloth over they eyes, if that doesn't work I take 2 fioricet( butalbital/acetaminophen/caffine) and a phenergan and return to my cave. Topomax as a preventative works well for one of my daughters - I had problems with side effects, and a vitamin cocktail ( B complex - must contain B2 & B12, CoQ10, Magnesium, calcium, melatonin) works best for my other daughter. Not sure of the doses of all the vitamins, but it is more than the average dose, but they are all available over the counter in the highest dose- takes one each daily, takes viactive three times a day for the calcium.

Back
Top Bottom