Milk flush for coccidiosis

Not sure if our chickens had coccidiosis, but the vet said that we should treat them periodically for it whether they officially have it or not. So we tried the milk flush as an alternative to medicated feed. Their laying increased during that period, but other than that they seem the same to me (which was healthy). I will probably use it every 6 months just as a precautionary measure.

I'm always glad to hear those first-hand experiences w/ treatments, and tidbits of the actual advice vets often give ... helps me to continue to shape/improve my own methods of flock management, which already differ a bit from those of most: I'm a big fan of the natural stuff, but won't hesitate to use whatever proves safest and most effective, provided that it will not leave chemicals w/in the meat or eggs, and that the active ingredients will fully biodegrade w/in reasonable periods of time (i.e. pyrethrin comes from the flowers of chrysanthemum, and permethrin is chemically produced to function similarly, but both can be used legally in commercial kitchens, w/ soap/water cleaning of food surfaces, and will completely break down).

I raised both my guineas and my chickens w/ controlled amounts of Amprolium, and w/o changing the litter, so as to hopefully develop thier own natural resistance. I have also included Diatomaceous Earth, both on the inside and out, knowing that it would reduce the numbers of internal/external parasites, should any be present, and that it wasn't gonna hurt 'emt at all. I also add four teaspoons of Apple Cider Vinegar to each gallon of water, which is also extremely beneficial, most especially to help 'cut through' the mucus and coatings in the mouth, throat and intestines, which improves uptake of nutrients/vitamins and any meds given, and the lowering of the pH creates an extremely hostile environment for internal parasites. Rather than continuously, I phase it in and back out in about three day cycles. It's ridiculously cheap, and highly effective, and simply can't hurt one feather on your birds (perhaps that explains why there are some that still resist such compelling reasons for using it ~'-)

I'm not so sure of the effecacy of the various natural treatments and home remedies, so I keep Amprolium on hand for emergency treatment of coccidiosis (if you need it? you'll need it quickly, and it ain't always available), and Fenbendazole is my choice for treating the worms commonly found w/in chickens ... beyond seeing studies proving it to be extremely effective at suggested dosages, it's proven to be safe at dosages of over 100 times that amount, with the only concern raised being that it may mess up the emerging feathers if given during molt.

As you can tell? I tend to talk/type entirely too much, but I do my research faithfully so I can stand firmly upon my opinions. And, I tend to over-think ... well ... just about every simple lil' thing I do; always searchin' for ways to improve the way things are done w/o accepting the way they are w/o further study, and testing (which also serves as good excuse for takin' forever to get things done ~'-)

I just mixed up a batch of the milk flush, but am wondering whether I feed it to them dry like this or mix it with water?
Can anyone help me on this, because I'd like to give it to my hens in the morning. The cold weather has some of
them showing symptoms of cocci. Thanks for any advice!

Flocktalk - I had the same question...did you mix it with water? Did it work for you? I am mixing up a batch and am planning on trying it dry to see how they take it.

You don't mix it with water. You just give it as a substitute for their food. You take up the their food, and give them that instead. Once they finish it, you put their regular food back out.

Thank you - I gave it to them dry and they gobbled it up. We are on day two now and the bird we were worried about appears to be doing much better. Not sure if she was able to get through it on her own or if this helped. Either way she seems better.

corid kills all strains of cocci not just some. also after corid give a probotic to replace good bacteria. i believe in corid for cocci it works well.i keep it on hand incase. Hope this is helpful.

Thank you everyone for the info. Am going to try to locate some of that (corid/amprol) to keep on hand. However, the milk flush seemed to work - if coccidiosis is what she had.

Hate to just jump in. I found this post while searching what could have been wrong with one of my broilers. I have 11 chicks ranging in age from almost 5 weeks to almost 3 weeks( bought from feed store on a Wed so probably hatched on Mon or Tues). They have all seemed fine until last night when I went to do my evening chores, I noticed some blood in the brooder. I immediately noticed it was from one of the 3 broilers (to see if we wanted to do meat chickens). I thought at first that she had been injured but upon closer inspection I could not find any where that looked like she was hurt. She was breathing pretty heavily and looked like she was hurting, I never noticed blood in the brooder or poop before this. I brought her inside to the indoor brooder (for my itty bitty babies) for the night and only offered her water. She was drinking when I went to bed, but a few hours later when I got up to check on her she was gone. None of the other chicks in the other brooder look sick or lethargic. The only thing I found in all my searches is that it is Cocci, I didn't buy or feed medicated starter because I had ducklings in with them until a couple days ago. I am very rural and going to a town with supplies is a good hour drive, I was going to order some corid online but the shipping times I can afford wont get it here before my next trip to town.

Sorry I am rambling a little here, I was wondering about the milk flush I have everything on had except the bran. I am not sure if the local store has bran or not, if I cannot get the bran will it still work without it? Friday is my next trip to a big town and I plan on buying some corid then, but I don't want to loose my other 10 chicks until I can get the corid. I may also grab a bag of medicated feed now that the ducklings are not in with the chicks (they grow so much faster). I also plan on cleaning the brooder today, the water is on a wire mesh but they to mess on it (not as much as the ducklings did). Since my older birds can be near the brooder should I also treat them with a flush? Or should I wait to see if they show symptoms? I can't offer them medicated feed due to the ducks and goose sharing the same run for now.

When i had coccidiosis run thru my baby chicks i used tetracycline. it was cheap and saved the remaining chicks. i lost 20 before i knew what was wrong with them. after 1 day of treatment the other 7 perked up and lived.

Back
Top Bottom