Mille Cochin Info

Hi all! I am new to chickens...my firs flock purchase still havent laid an egg. :0 but I am getting my first fancy chicken tomorrow and it's supposedly a show quality show stock Mille fleur Cochin bantam. I am rally excited. I also have the chance to pick up some silver laced Antakya Cochin straight run. Beautiful coloring on mom. So my question is.... What will happen if I breed my mfbc to a slbc? And does his coloring sound acceptable? His brother has a lot of black on his neck while this boy as a more camel colored neck but where his neck feathers meet the body there are black feathers.

Thanks for any input. I love mottled and lacing and the Mille pattern so I am excited.
Ummm, what is an Antakya?? If you breed those 2 colors together you will just get a bunch of mixed-up mutts. Nothing you can breed, show or sell. I wouldn't do it, I think you will ruin the Mille Fleur project.

I don't condone playing with colors unless every bird stays on your farm forever, none ever get sold or given to others. If you want something easy go with solid colors. JMO.

I don't condone playing with colors unless every bird stays on your farm forever, none ever get sold or given to others. If you want something easy go with solid colors. JMO.

Well, I can kind of understand that, but then again, I can't. MFs are playing with 2 combined colors and you know as well as I do that the calicos are not even close to what we are after. Calicos are still sold to other breeders or to people who have them as yard cady - and they may be bred ans their eggs/chicks sold off... I mean, new colors come from breeding colors together. Seems a hair hypocritical to say not to play with colors, but that is exactly what we are doing by trying to breed MFs that breed true.
:confused:

I guess I wasn't too clear on that. What I meant is, it is one thing to work on a project (that others are working on too) with a goal in mind. It is another to just mix colors willy-nilly with no idea what you might get and no goal in mind. Creating new colors is very different than creating a bunch of mixed-up mutts and selling them off to other "breeders". Many dedicated breeders are working hard to perfect the Mille Fleur pattern and get it recognized. That is not what this person is doing. As far as Calico, I don't breed for it but it occasionally pops up in the Milles, and they are so pretty they are hard to resist. A few people are working on that color too, maybe one day they will breed true.
wink.png

since we're on the subject of calicos i have a couple cockerels that need new homes. one is regular calico and the other is blue. they're out of my BLR project and free to anyone that needs them in their project

Fancy Feathers, I have to toot your horn for you!
Please show us the photos of that beautiful little YELLOW chick that you hatched from your lovely pair of MF project birds. There are some on this thread that are the opinion you can't breed Mottled into MF and get MF. I know your photos will prove them wrong.

Your beautiful Inky.....

Bred to your most handsome Ruby Rod......

And I am anxiously awaiting all the grow up photos with that beautiful yellow chick. I love the one where you say Inky doesn't know it is hers. That one is too funny. I love the close up in the grass, too, though. Keep us updated on how the little ones mature.

I am so tickled by your hatching eggs. Can't wait til you have a farm full of these little beauties.

This is Lily the day she hatched. There are 2 of them, but Lily has been my favorite from the start. Don't ask me why. And please don't tell the other chicks.

Here is Inky running away from Lily! LOL She doesn't realize that's HER chick.

Pretty little thing. I really don't mind if she turns out to be a rooster, but I've named her "Lily"... so.. that might be kind of awkward.
roll.png
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom