Mille Cochin Info

Nosipho- love those chicks!

Martha- who are those chicks out of? They seem really dark for your boy you'v been posting pics of. I can't wait to see them in 2 or 3 months. :cool:

Nosipho- love those chicks!

Martha- who are those chicks out of? They seem really dark for your boy you'v been posting pics of. I can't wait to see them in 2 or 3 months.
cool.png

Good catch! That cockerel is not their father, but I would really like to see what I get when I cover these girls with Max. They are unrelated, so who KNOWS what kind of stuff will come up!

Baby Daddy:

What is odd (at least I think) is that I gathered eggs from the same cockerel and pullets (pictured above) and gave the to a friend who just LOVES cochins. She sent me a picture of her flock last night and every one of them is colored just like this Cockerel, the birds I posted today are from the same breedings. It's weird that all her chicks ended up mottled and none of mine did.
hmm.png

I do not go by how much white they have as all mine look like Calico coloring to start with. All that white is really nice on the babies but my boys and girls get darker with age. They lose all the white and I get a lot of red or a lot of black. Still years away from balancing the pattern and keeping that type along with the loose feathering.
I can tell my boys from girls by the comb and before that if they have a line under the eyes or coming out from the middle of the eye.
Yup I agree, mine lose a lot of the white too, and yup Nosipho your first chick looks like a pullet.
The line under the eye doesn't work for my chicks though. I've had plenty of cockerels with a line under the eye, and some girls have the line coming from the middle or top of the eye.

Ok Amy is this the line at eye you are talking about? I would assume middle of the eye = boy since i am in need of girls--my luck.

Nosipho-yes new feathering is Oz, on back and top of wing---I really like the little blue--maybe you were meant to try for blue milles :)

Blarney, wow i like the darker coloring on your hens!

Mike-we have the same taste in birds so you know i love em

Nancy--If these are boys I REALLY need some "spice princesses"
yippiechickie.gif

Heather-sorry i dont have a CA connection for you
frow.gif
I haven't forgotten about you, I keep looking for a pullet with a head closest to Paprika... who isn't Paprika.. LOL

Amy- my camera I use is a Nikon. I have 4 other ones that I really don't care for but the pics are just as good from them. The only thing I hate about my Nikon is the big scratches I put in the lens dropping it. It doesn't show to well in photos though. I'm working on getting a new camera though. But I really do love taking pics. It works out great, 3 of my favorite hobbies, chickens, photography, and carpentry. I plan on doing something where I work with wood but as of right now I'm experimenting with things I like to do. But I get my cameras on black Friday when the are 80% off. I try to get a new one every year. I usually break them if I don't have multiple to use then I am cameraless. BUt I guess you all get the hint I love taking pics and then sharing them!!
big_smile.png
OHmy Goodness I laughed!! You sound just like me, Mike. I don't have a 50mm prime lens anymore... because I dropped it!
th.gif

Good catch! That cockerel is not their father, but I would really like to see what I get when I cover these girls with Max. They are unrelated, so who KNOWS what kind of stuff will come up!

Baby Daddy:

What is odd (at least I think) is that I gathered eggs from the same cockerel and pullets (pictured above) and gave the to a friend who just LOVES cochins. She sent me a picture of her flock last night and every one of them is colored just like this Cockerel, the birds I posted today are from the same breedings. It's weird that all her chicks ended up mottled and none of mine did.
hmm.png
Is he straight Mottled or split? I see the leakage in the saddle feathers. That is funny that your chicks colors ended up like that! If he's straight Mottled or even first generation I'm surprised you had any colored chicks
cool.png

Ok Amy is this the line at eye you are talking about? I would assume middle of the eye = boy since i am in need of girls--my luck.

Nosipho-yes new feathering is Oz, on back and top of wing---I really like the little blue--maybe you were meant to try for blue milles :)

Blarney, wow i like the darker coloring on your hens!

Mike-we have the same taste in birds so you know i love em

Nancy--If these are boys I REALLY need some "spice princesses"
yippiechickie.gif

Heather-sorry i dont have a CA connection for you
No, that is not the line. This is an EE chick with a line under the eye that I took to show a friend. See it is broken on the top before it gets back to the middle of the back of the eye. This turned out to be a girl.

This goes all around the eye and extends form the middle on back. This turned out to be a boy. It works on all mine, thank goodness.

Looking good, Mike! I wonder if they remember each other?
gig.gif
I'm sure Tiffany was too young, Tuba too probably, but Max, maybe? Wonder if he remembers Harry & Sandy and Rugar - they were all in the same pen until I sent Max to you. Harry especially, they were hatched and raised together.
Is that Nigus with Sandy? He's your chick, isn't he? I'm really interested to see how he matures. I have a feeling he's going to be gorgeous.

Last edited:
Looking good, Mike! I wonder if they remember each other? :gig  I'm sure Tiffany was too young, Tuba too probably, but Max, maybe? Wonder if he remembers Harry & Sandy and Rugar - they were all in the same pen until I sent Max to you. Harry especially, they were hatched and raised together.
Is that Nigus with Sandy? He's your chick, isn't he? I'm really interested to see how he matures. I have a feeling he's going to be gorgeous.

No-that's Rafael with Sandy. He is the only one hatched from my eggs. Nigus was from Lynne's eggs and is looking better everyday. He only has one white feather on his foot. Rafael has small white flakes that you can barely see on him. Max and Harry actually do stay close together and all the hens stick with them. I'm not sure if I'm going to separate them now though. As long as there are know fights I think they can stay together.

Back
Top Bottom