Millions Against Monsanto Campaign-Updated - FDA bands non-GMO labels

I would love everyone to post their responses, I want to see if they already have generic responses set up, or to see if they are for or against. It would be nice to see the national representative views!

Quote:
Isn't that the 'vault' in sweden where they are holding on to seed varieties from all over the world in case one day we have to restore what we destroyed? There is an article on it at Seedsavers.org

I've contacted before... they sent out a Thanks For Writing generic immediately and then later a response based on my actual post. I think part of that is making sure the email you list actually exists and thus taking the time to write up a response is worth it. It would really annoy me to read something, actually care, write a response... just to have the Mailer Daemon say Does not exist.... especially if I had 100s or 1000s to go through.

I'll keep a look out and post what/if anything comes.
smile.png

True... but if that person responded in a way that didn't match up with the person's ideas then they'd get rid of them. So, it's a fairly safe bet... safer than trusting the media to quote them accurately anyways.

And, if they spent their own time going through each response they'd have less time to read the bills they're poda be voting on... think I'd rather have the Aide's reply and think that they read the bill than get a personal note and know they didn't have time.

Plus, if the Aide sorts them into Yes, No, Maybe piles... the person can see 98 yes, 1 no, 1 maybe... hmmm maybe my voters want this to pass... doesn't mean they'll listen, but the numbers would be there if they wanted to know.

Quote:
Isn't that the 'vault' in sweden where they are holding on to seed varieties from all over the world in case one day we have to restore what we destroyed? There is an article on it at Seedsavers.org

Yes, however, it is a based for developing GMO foods also. There is no official website for the building.

Quote:

Yes, however, it is a based for developing GMO foods also. There is no official website for the building.

You know sweden... no involvement with anything! LOL

Got A Reply....

Dear Friend:

Thank you for contacting me regarding your concerns with the quality of genetically engineered food. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.

Current food laws require pre-market approval for food additives, whether or not they are the products of biotechnology. According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), many of the food crops being developed using biotechnology contain substances that are no different from those already in the diet and thus do not require pre-market approval.

However, it is important the FDA continues to monitor the science of genetically engineered food to ensure that it remains safe. As you may know, the Farm Security and Rural Investment Act of 2002, which became Public Law No. 107-171 on May 13, 2002, contains two provisions that address the safety concerns of genetically engineered foods. The first provision authorizes the Secretary of Agriculture to establish a grant program to provide the necessary funding for environmental assessment research concerning the introduction of genetically engineered animals, plants, and microorganisms into the environment. The second provision allows the Secretary of Agriculture to develop a program that communicates to the public information regarding the use of biotechnology in producing food for human consumption. The information shall include science-based evidence on the safety of foods produced with biotechnology.

Please know that I will work to ensure that our food production system maintains the highest quality standards in the world. Thank you again for taking the time to write. I hope that you will not hesitate to contact me again on any other issue of concern.

Sincerely,
Kay Bailey Hutchison
United States Senator

284 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
202-224-5922 (tel)
202-224-0776 (fax)
http://hutchison.senate.gov

So basically the FDA says that GMO is the exact same as stuff already on the market so there's no point in labeling anything.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom