Mini Donkeys

adiekaty

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 24, 2013
Banner, Wyoming
hello...
im purchasing two jacks next month. They will be 6 months old, and i plan to have them gelded asap.
Im scouring the internet for info.. not finding much.

I want to have sweet tame boys.. so, what do i do each day??
When do i start with a halter? How often do i mess with their feet, so they get use to a farrier??
I need Donkey 101.. or raising donkeys for dummies... haha

someone please help!! looking for all the advice you have!

thanks!!

I am no expert on jacks. I agree you should have them gelded, but I wonder if you should have it done when they are only six months old. You want them to be mature enough so their urinary tract is developed enough. At least that is what I read somewhere about stallions so you might want to check it out.. I am sure an equine vet will be able to advise you.

http://www.lovelongears.com/

http://www.nmdaasset.com/

These are good places to start. I used to have a forum I could refer you to, but sadly, that one has closed down (probably due to inactivity).
sad.png

Donkeys are very smart, and have a very well-developed sense of self preservation. Once they learn to trust you, they'll be good with just about anything you do. For starters, a donkey considers a scratch on the withers as being friendly, but "getting in his face" is just that. Don't try to touch their faces right away, pet them on the neck and shoulders first. You will want to start halter training as early as you can, but be sure they are comfortable with you touching their faces first. Donkeys that have been handled gently can enjoy having their ears stroked, but you must never pull their ears - halters should be unbuckled and buckled on, not pulled over the ears of a donkey.

Donkeys can just about get fat on air, and they don't lose the ugly fat pads once they develop. Better not to develop them in the first place.
wink.png
A good quality grass hay should be enough - though they love it, most grain-based horse feeds are not necessary for a donkey.

There's tons more, of course. Good luck with your lil' longears!
love.gif

Bunny (who has been owned by a mini mule for years!)

We have 2 mini donkeys, Cheech and Chong! They are the "hit" of every appearance they make. Dad trained them to drive and had a local Amish harness maker, make them each a harness. They are precious each in his own way. And neither one miss a chance at any prank they can think of. Keep an open mind and a sense of humor. They aren't horses
263a.png

thanks for the info!!! I ordered a few books, and have read everything possible on the internet.

The lady I'm purchasing the 2 little ones from, will have them halter broke when i buy them. They will be 4.5 months, which i thought was a tad young, but she assured me they will be ready to go by then. Most of what i have read says they need to be with their moms until 6 months, but she has sold many babies, and has references, and all the babies sold, have done well at their new homes..

I will update! :))

I have two Minis...love them. We start working with babies ASAP. We pet them as soon as Mom allows so they imprint on us. They carve the attention, and have complete trust in you. I brush and pick hooves every day just like with the horses. However with Donkeys just because they will let you work with their feet the farrier may be a different story.

We have a foal due any day.

Back
Top Bottom