Mini egg???

Bcoz18

Songster
Apr 20, 2020
Saint Charles Missouri
I have 3 adult chickens that lay medium to large eggs no problem been getting three a day

now I have 9 more chickens that I got 11 weeks ago and found a random small egg in a nesting box.. so chickens really lay eggs at 11 weeks. I have never seen an egg this small or have had a chicken lay an egg at 11 weeks.. none of the smaller ones shows any signs that they would be close to laying eggs :/

it is also much much darker then any of the other three adults that have been laying. Should I be worried?

I do believe I have a black sex link that is almost as big as my 34 week only chickens and her comb and waddle are huge for 11 weeks could it be her??

Attachments

• 3268B4D8-C081-42B4-B385-0B99B23F7798.jpeg
    3268B4D8-C081-42B4-B385-0B99B23F7798.jpeg
    585.1 KB · Views: 18
  • A1D22CA3-825B-4E48-959E-83876B6F2E76.jpeg
    A1D22CA3-825B-4E48-959E-83876B6F2E76.jpeg
    767 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    684.6 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    654.2 KB · Views: 25
I have gotten one of these before! From my 2.5 year old Buff. It was also darker colored. They are known as 'Fairy Eggs', 'Fart eggs', and other things. They occur when the hen starts to produce an egg, but before the yolk is released from the oviduct of the hen. Therefore, only the white part of the egg (known as albumen) is shelled. Young laying hens are known for having a lot of them!
In any event, some fairy eggs here and there are nothing to be too concerned with. They are merely a blip in your hen’s production. One way to look at them, is that they are some kind of “prototype”.
According to farming folklore, it is believed that to protect them against a cock egg, you should throw the fairy egg over your house’s roof allowing it to hit the ground.

Up to you! But I would simply suggest that you display them as decor in a little basket on your counter top!

It looks like a fairy egg. Nothing to worry about. It happens sometimes.
That chicken in the pictures does not look like a BSL, and it actually looks like a cockerel. Can you post some more pictures, especially of the tail area?

The adults are 31 weeks..
They are ramping down production for the molt and winter break, assuming you are in the northern hemisphere, you can get some weird eggs around that time.

Fairy, fart, wind, rooster eggs are usually from a tiny piece of tissue breaking loose from the reproductive tract, or an immature ova(yolk) and the body forms an egg around it. Color can be darker than 'normal' as the pigment coating released has to cover a much smaller area so is thicker. Can happen with any age layer, but more common with older layers.

I think it's explained in this excellent video, which is worth watching regardless:

Back
Top Bottom