Mini goats?

Pampered chicken girl

🎶My angels and demons at war with myself🎶
Premium Feather Member
Apr 10, 2022
Hi there, we might be getting some mini goats very soon. I know very little about goats so any tips are appreciated.
TIA

They are browsers, not grazers. But they do eat hay. They also need minerals and copper. And vaccines (though some folks don't vaccinate if they have a closed herd).

They need a shelter and as much romping and foraging room as you can give them. My 4 big goats have a 10 x 10 shed with a 200 sq ft covered rain out area. I lock mine up at night because of predators.

And GOOD FENCING. Goats are escape artists.

I do not own goats, but I'm interested in getting some too so I've done quite a bit of research.
What breed are you getting, pygmies or Nigerian dwarfs? And for what purpose?
Can they eat orchard/Timothy hay like our horses? How big an enclosure do they need?
Yes, alfalfa is a good option too.
It's recommended that they have an enclosure of at least 20sqft per goat, but goat math happens so the more space the better. A lean-to style can work fine, but if you plan on breeding, something with four walls and stalls would be better.
You can typically keep about 6-8 goats on one acre, but it depends on the land and individual goats. With smaller breeds, you could keep more but the more space they have the better.
If you have a large enough space, you could do rotational grazing, which forces them to eat everything in one area rather than picking and choosing what they want.
They're also very curious and playful critters, so they like things to climb and jump on (which is why good fencing is important, otherwise they may end up on your car). Old playsets, tires, wood cable reels, stacked pallets, trees, etc. make good enrichment.

Be sure you buy from a reputable breeder, so you don't end up with sick goats or any genetic issues.
And don't mix goats with and without horns, otherwise they could be injured. I would go with all polled (naturally without horns) and/or disbudded (horns removed on kids before growing, not to be confused with dehorning). Goats without horns is not only safer for those handling and caring for them, but it also eliminates the issue of them getting their horns caught in things.

I do not own goats, but I'm interested in getting some too so I've done quite a bit of research.
What breed are you getting, pygmies or Nigerian dwarfs? And for what purpose?
I'm not sure if they are pygmies or dwarfs yet, just for pets
Yes, alfalfa is a good option too.
It's recommended that they have an enclosure of at least 20sqft per goat, but goat math happens so the more space the better. A lean-to style can work fine, but if you plan on breeding, something with four walls and stalls would be better.
You can typically keep about 6-8 goats on one acre, but it depends on the land and individual goats. With smaller breeds, you could keep more but the more space they have the better.
If you have a large enough space, you could do rotational grazing, which forces them to eat everything in one area rather than picking and choosing what they want.
They're also very curious and playful critters, so they like things to climb and jump on (which is why good fencing is important, otherwise they may end up on your car). Old playsets, tires, wood cable reels, stacked pallets, trees, etc. make good enrichment.

Be sure you buy from a reputable breeder, so you don't end up with sick goats or any genetic issues.
And don't mix goats with and without horns, otherwise they could be injured. I would go with all polled (naturally without horns) and/or disbudded (horns removed on kids before growing, not to be confused with dehorning). Goats without horns is not only safer for those handling and caring for them, but it also eliminates the issue of them getting their horns caught in things.
Thanks!

Both breeds make good pets. NDs are a dairy breed, and tend to be a bit taller and leaner. Pygmies are considered a dual purpose breed, and they're pretty short and stocky.
Here's a picture of them
Screenshot_20230117-093435_Messages.jpg
Screenshot_20230117-091223_Messages.jpg

Back
Top Bottom