Minnesota!

Need help &/or suggestions for an injured hen

I have hens and horses, and it looks like one of my horses might have stepped on or pushed one of my hens. Didn't see it happen, but she's not using her right leg, uses her wing to balance. I looked at her leg and there's no visible damage. She's pretty much just lying in one spot. I put her in an "x-pen" in the enclosed horse stall we use as a coop, so she's safe from the other hens, has food and water in there and looks like she's eating and drinking good. She also laid an egg the day before yesterday. It's possible that she got hurt up in her thigh, I didn't look at that, as she wasn't totally keen on being poked and prodded. Any suggestions besides keeping her somewhat isolated and quiet while she hopefully heals?

She's my daughter's favorite hen, "Snowy," so I'd prefer she healed and doubtful I'd get any of my family to eat her if push comes to shove. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

On another note, a coop tour sounds awesome. I'm up in Nowthen, near Elk River, and my coop is a converted horse stall, but would love to see what other folks are doing.

Thanks for your help.

welcome-byc.gif
Terrysgirl.

Hensandhorses: That's a tough one about Snowy. Without a proper xray you'd probably have a tough time having even a Vet diagnose properly. You've felt all along the leg/thigh for breaks? I would imagine there is a broken bone or soft tissue damage. You can try some B12 in the water, 1/5 baby aspirin for pain, swelling.

Sometimes these injuries are the leap you need to talk to your kids about chickens as pets vs. livestock. Things happen and I've trudged through it with my kids. Unimaginable at first to think of how to bring up the conversation but it is the circle of life on the farm to a degree. The treatment cost outweighs the value of the chick most likely and you'll have to weigh what needs to be done. But keeping the bird in misery should not be an option, in my humble opinion.

You should consider yourself lucky, I only have 1 out of 9 that goes into a coop every night. They prefer to sit out, no matter how nasty the weather gets. 2 others of mine will go in if it is really nasty out. I think they spent 6 nights inside all winter.

Mine roost on a fence most the time, but some nights they go on top of the coop. I had one last fall that went at least 50 ft up an oak tree. He thought he was king that night.

I have 4 turkeys none of which will go inside to roost. They will sit out every night no matter what the wind or temps are. I have tried a few times to get them inside on those extremely cold nights we had a month or two ago but they wouldn't stay put. They just sit there braving the elements. Nothing I can do about it.

Hello everyone - just joined today and trying to get the hang of everything here. we are in the southern metro area. We're getting our chicks in May - had to jump through a TON of hoops to get the permit. :) but we persevered. We have a coop - made a mistake and bought it before the permit..long story! We ended up having it built, somewhat of the Witchita style too. Now we just need to build an outdoor run once the ground thaws!!

We may be able to join in on our local Twin Cities coop tour - depending on when it is this year. Last summer I think it was in June? We'll see. And hello Scott, we are a bit north of you.

Looking forward to chatting with everyone - take care.
thumbsup.gif
Hi, Terrysgirl. Welcome to the board. I joined some time late spring/early summer of last year so I'm still green around here. You'll find answers to everything you need as everyone on here is very helpful.

Everyone is north of me. LOL.

Last edited:
HensandHorses, I think, if you can keep her comfortable do so for as long as you can, if it is soft tissue damage it will heal fairly fast. If it is broken bones It probably will not heal. If that is the case, I have to agree with BogtownChick.

It is hard to put them down, but it is worse for them to suffer knowing they will never get better. So let's all just pray it is a bad bruise!

Back
Top Bottom