Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler extrodinaire Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    You should see the other birds she has there!

She has some big hairy birds that are beautiful.

2. Dandelioness

Dandelioness Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2014
    East Central MN
    I don't comment on the thread much, but I think I check it more than Facebook!

The weather has finally gotten to me. It has comforted me to know that other folks in MN are seeing similar drops in egg production, or I think I'd be depressed. I keep telling myself, "It can't stay cold for much longer". I mean the below zero stuff with ridiculous windchills.

Feed the chickens, check the eggs, plan the garden, repeat. Avoid checking the weather forecast. Ignore Southern relatives complaining about the cold. Anyone else struggling with sanity?

Looking forward to some cold, bright sunshine tomorrow and high thirties after that.

Nice looking birds, Ralphie! That bunny photo was a good sign that spring is coming for sure :)

3. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I hope so this weather is nuts....

I need to brave it again tomorrow and travel to TSC in Elk River and get another heated waterer.... You would think we could do without them this time of year, or shortly....

I never know whether to buy the heated plastic waterers from TSC or get the heated pads the steel founts sit on....

I am thinking the new rooster will be named "Ray"... The girls will go without names most likely..

4. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    the weather!!!!

It is going to be in the 50's? what kind of weirdness is that? I'm all for a little warmup but I hate it when it spikes like that, mostly because there is frost in the ground, so the top inches on the driveway thaw into a muck that just spins on the frozen ground underneath.

that means parking on the road and hiking in to get to the house and coop. Yuck.

its 8 below zero now....

5. starbuck123

starbuck123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2015
    50s? When? Where? Its -20 windchill here now and I'm just so done with this monkey business!

6. Scott16475

Scott16475 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mid to upper 40's here in the metro early next week. They say long range forecast is calling for mid-50's here in the metro next week and possibly 60's in southern Minnesota. Wife and I are ready to open the windows to air out the house which we'll do as soon as we hit 40! Our egg production has dropped but we did get an egg from each girl yesterday (4).

7. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    A couple of you,,,, are being gullible, The weather forecasters are just playing with you.

It is below zero again. The weather man/woman, notice how PC I was, lie. This is intentional.

They get paid from the mental health institutions for each person they drive crazy and seeks treatment.

Your thinking this is going to occur, has them eyeing a new car.

8. ejb3810

ejb3810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Northern Minnesota
    Well Ralphie I can see that you are afflicted with the same syndrome as many including myself on occasion. That is the want over need syndrome. I do not need anymore chickens or any more varieties, but I want to have more just for the pure fun and enjoyment.
    My wife says if she had realized that I would eventually act so irrationally she may have made some different decisions, but that a 43 year investment of time is difficult to abandon. The poor woman still thinks that she may able to salvage something of me.
    The Legbars are interesting looking birds, and the blue egg is a plus from my perspective. The problem with frostbite on the combs make them a non choice for me. The Ameraucana with the pea comb is a better choice in my situation, as I will not have chickens that have frostbitten combs. I do not plan to get to the point of heating a coop. In fact I don't plan to add artificial light to stimulate egg production. I am just lazy and frugal enough to let nature take it's course.
    In the spring, summer and fall my birds free range. The feed bill goes down, and I have many eggs to sell. In the winter the feed bill goes up and I have no eggs to sell and that is fine with me.
    Hopefully theses new exotic chickens will not lessen your enthusiasm for Ed and Ole. I personally think that even though Ed is a EE he is more striking in appearance than the Legbar.

9. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    Ed and Ole are irreplaceable!

They will always have a home here. Ed is just too cool. Ole is a tad touched in the head. He seems to think he is a guinea. He hangs out with them, roosts with them and refuses to leave the coop.

I have opened the door to get Ed and Ole to meet the other chickens now, and I have seen the other chickens go into there coop. No fights that I know of. Ed will step out the door and look around then goes back inside.

Ole does not go out the door, but will go into the covered run with the guineas.

They will each be getting there own flock as I make coops and pens this summer.

Ed is a good looking bird as is Ole so they will fit into my Mutt creation program.

I am going to try rotating free range this summer. I do not want to have to hunt for eggs all the time, so I think I will let the birds free range about every third day:

Day one ----- Ed and his girls..
    Day two----- Ole and his girls
    Day three---- Ernie and his girls.

Bert will get everyday free.... He is so low on the totem pole he is not a breeding hazard.

Edited for new plan....

Ed and Ole will be in the same coop and share girls.....
    Ernie will be alone.........
    Nameless will move to freezer camp and watch over it....

Bert will do whatever he wants. with a couple of Rainbows and maybe his White rock........ Ray will stay under cover with the CL's and 2 EE.s

That way I can put each group out to free range every other day and still have them use to the nest boxes to cut down on egg hunts, I hope

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  10. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    I am willing to sell this egg, from a Crested Cream leg bar today at cost!

[​IMG]

This offer is only being made to my friends on this thread and Jessica's bar and grill thread...

Break down of costs on this egg:

Chickens ........................... $130.00
    Feed ...........................1.25
    feeder ...................................16.99
    water ................................... .02
    Waterer ........................... 39.95
    Gas 4 car .......................... 28.00
    Cost to build coop................... 125.00
    Light............................................12.69
    bulb................................................2.00
    ext cord.........................................12.95
    splitter for cord................................3.19
    -----------------------------------------------------

TOTAL $357.09

I will even eat the cost of my labor and the egg carton!

So contact me now to buy this egg at cost..........

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by