Minnesota!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by foxhollow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. scandiafowl

scandiafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2015
    Minnesota
    Mornin' everyone,
    Are there other options to buying pine shavings other than the compressed pack?

2. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    I PM'd you. Hopefully, the hatchery gets you your right order or at least a refund of some sort.

3. MinnesotaNice

MinnesotaNice Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Minnesota
    I have a friend that buys hers from a Mom & Pop landscaping company. She has horses and chickens, so goes through quite a bit. You could also ask the local feed store, too. They might have resources, if anything. I buy mine from Fleet Farm. a 20lb bag is $5. According to the fancy Fleet Farm website, it expands to 7 cu. ft. when opened! Way to go Fleet Farm!

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/dejnos-7-cu-ft-pine-wood-shavings/0000000017332

4. Dandelioness

Dandelioness Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2014
    East Central MN

Holm, this is so sweet!

5. nordicacres

nordicacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    South Central MN
    Scandiafowl, do you have any local towns with a compost site? We just found out our city compost lets you pick up FREE truckloads of compost and mulch. So we will be trying a load of mulch for the coop. Free is free. It won't be as fine as pine shavings, but hopefully it will work for us!

6. Dandelioness

May 27, 2014
    East Central MN

A friend of mine did this last year - she was able to move them around in wooden chicken tractors for a while as they were young. They were a little under half grown when she moved them into a fenced area. Good eating!

7. Dandelioness

May 27, 2014
    East Central MN

Are you just using them for bedding?

Some alternative or free bedding that we've been happy with: bagged leaves, arborists wood chips from a tree guy down the road, untreated pine shavings from a friend who does a lot of woodworking, sand (non-silica), pine needles.

Hope that helps!

8. scandiafowl

Apr 16, 2015
    Minnesota

That does help. I'm doing a lot of brush clearing and tree trimming, if I rent a shredder I could put all that to good use. It's for bedding.

9. scandiafowl

Apr 16, 2015
    Minnesota

Probably not in Scandia proper but I'll check in out, thanks for the idea!

10. scandiafowl

Apr 16, 2015
    Minnesota

That is where I've been buying and it works well. Seems I'm going to have to invest in a truck soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by