Minnesota!

I think the weather has something to do with the winters eggs.

I am wondering what is going to happen as we head back into the freezer next week. At least it can't hang on that long this time of year. It has been a weird winter.

What breeds do you have, I noticed my BSL and EE took the biggest hit on egg laying.

Hi-
Don't mind me jumping in here and interrupting everyone but I was so excited to see other folks from Minnesota I couldn't help myself!! I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

I am Rhetts from the Iron Range (about an hour north of Duluth) I am new to chicken raising so BYC has been super helpful. I look forward to learning more about chickens and the people who raise them!! I am excited to be able to have other Minnesotans that I can ask questions from regarding raising our flocks in a state with the challenges it poses (weather and predators mostly).

I currently have a large variety of chickens, 38 to be exact, 6 geese, 5 ducks and 4 turkeys.

Thanks for letting me jump in here.
Rhetts

Rhetts
welcome-byc.gif

Hi-
Don't mind me jumping in here and interrupting everyone but I was so excited to see other folks from Minnesota I couldn't help myself!! I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

I am Rhetts from the Iron Range (about an hour north of Duluth) I am new to chicken raising so BYC has been super helpful. I look forward to learning more about chickens and the people who raise them!! I am excited to be able to have other Minnesotans that I can ask questions from regarding raising our flocks in a state with the challenges it poses (weather and predators mostly).

I currently have a large variety of chickens, 38 to be exact, 6 geese, 5 ducks and 4 turkeys.

Rhetts
Hi and welcome!!!
frow.gif

Last edited:
Hi-

Rhetts

Hi Rhetts!

Welcome ! I am a newbie myself! I think you love it here!

Welcome aboard Rhetts. Actually most breeds are not that hard to find if you know where to look. A problem can be the price to acquire quality birds, especially for some of the less common breeds.
I do not advocate paying the illogical prices that some of the financially motivated "Feather Merchants" are charging. A person can usually locate superior birds through members of the various breed clubs. It may cost some money for shipping, and you may need to start with a trio instead of chicks. If you plan to be involved for an extended time then the time and financial investment is well worth it to my mind.
Now with SpeeDee delivery operating in Mn,Wi,Ia, Il it is much less costly than USPS in many cases.
If all you want is some egg layers, then buying started pullets or sexed chicks can be a good way to go. They can be found via Craigslist or through the hatcheries. Quality birds of many breeds are available from Duane Urch in Owatonna. Many of the BYC members also have very good birds. Minniechickmama of the Mn group is a good source for several breeds.
If you want to breed your own birds it is best to start with the best quality stock you can find. It makes progress so much easier, and who knows you may wish to enter a bird or two in the County Fair?

Hi-
Don't mind me jumping in here and interrupting everyone but I was so excited to see other folks from Minnesota I couldn't help myself!!  I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

I am Rhetts from the Iron Range (about an hour north of Duluth) I am new to chicken raising so BYC has been super helpful.  I look forward to learning more about chickens and the people who raise them!!  I am excited to be able to have other Minnesotans that I can ask questions from regarding raising our flocks in a state with the challenges it poses (weather and predators mostly).

Rhetts

Hi Rhetts and :welcome and to our Minnesota thread!

Back
Top Bottom