Minnesota!

Can't quite see from the photo, but looks like you may have lucked out in the pullet department with the d'Uccle babies you got from me earlier this month. They are plenty old by now to be able to tell. By about 5-6 weeks the males get a significantly larger and redder comb while the females' combs stay yellowish and tight to the forehead for a long time (until like 9 weeks when they might pink a little and it's usually a good 12 weeks before they get any significant color in the comb on pullets). Sorry to hear about your favorelles. All of the others from that batch are doing well from the reports I have gotten. Here's hoping your last one is a pullet. Did I see you got some more from someone locally? I saw you got some super cute polish. Are they bantam? Polish babies might just be one of the cutest things ever. I got some this year too for my own flock. I sat and stared at them for a long time each night before bed. They are out in the brooder house now that it's warm enough and I can't sit in front of the brooder in my jammies anymore.
That's great to hear! The salmon faverolle I got from you is he/she large fowl or bantam? The ones I just got are all bantam. The polish are bantam too. It's weird because I've just ended up with a lot of bantam breeds even though I originally wanted all large fowl. It's hard to resist their cuteness.

Sorry for your loss, I don't know what I would do if I lost any of my dogs. I am still dreading the day that happens. They're all young and I've never experienced having a dog die before =(

Rainin, it is one of the worst experience of your life. With dogs, you feel so helpless and they depend so much on you.

At my age, I have had it happen many times in my life. It never gets easier, I dread each time. Bogtown's dog has really hit me hard as her dog looks just like mine. It too is trained to hunt and leaves the chickens alone, and actually protects them from predators. This is a major feat for a lab.

My older dog is ten this year. I tried to breed her a couple years ago and she did not take but went into a false pregnancy, because of that we found a tumor on her uterus. I had it removed and a hysterectomy preformed. I look at her and thank God for every day I get. She is losing hair and just does not look good at times. My dogs are lap dogs, I hold them every night while I watch TV. There are nights I do not want to hold her, but I know my days of holding her are limited.

With dogs you have to weigh the cost of vet care versus how many more days you are going to get it is hard. I do not have EJB's unlimited monies, so I have to be careful with what I do. The last dog we did euthanasia on. it was hard. She had Cushing's disease and we had spent 4 grand on her and she was scared to go to the vet, she would actually shake and cry when we drove in the parking lot. I could not put her through that. I set up a gas chamber and laid her in it and used carbon monoxide to put her to sleep for a painless death. It was better than the vet and a needle I think.

As I said it is hard, I hope your dogs have a long happy life. Sorry this story got so long. I guess I needed it to help prepare for my dogs demise.

Turkey poults are here! My week old chicks do not care for them at all. I can practically see them sticking their beaks up in the air. Maybe it is because they are so loud and clumsy . . .

T

The colleague who sold the eggs to me told me thay are standard but not the breed. I suppose I have to hunt her down at some point ... Any thoughts what breed these gals are?

Looks like backyard specials to me.

Chiropractic visit was good I thought. But whatever my dog was fighting was stronger. She just passed away an hour ago in my arms. God speed and happy hunting grounds forever.

Amy,
I am SO sorry to hear this. They are like our children, and when they go it just tears a he wide open I our hearts.
I know our first dog we had together and raised from a puppy made me cry for weeks when he went. I could still hear his tags linking on his collar for days after he was gone. I think he was sticking around in spirit until he knew I was starting to feel better.

Hatch day in 06 May.

On 03 May the incubator goes on lock-down and eggs are taken out of the turner?
Do I still need to rotate then twice per day?
And what about adding water for humidty, to keep at 65%

Have a great rainy weekend, everyone!

ralphie so sad, I had dogs growing up but never long enough. My oldest dog is around 5 now, but she's a yorkie/maltese and I feel like will live until 18 even. She never exerts herself. My other dog is young and she just turned 1 in easter. I think the first to go will be my maine coon cat, he's around 5 but has herpes.

Back
Top Bottom