Minnesota!

How long ago did u get your CCLs?? Am I correct to say you got yours from Triplell? When I move hens from one pen to another they dont lay again for quite a few weeks. This might be what's wrong with yours a big change in housing.

It's been well over a month but that makes sense. They were really skittish around me at first, as expected with an adjustment, but even the rooster likes his chest pet while being held with some sunflower seeds!

I forgot to add when I posted, yes Triplell, I really appreciate her help getting these chooks to me!

Last edited:
Hi everyone! From Bemidji here! Going to start off with some chicks soon. I'm super excited. I have raised ducks from eggs and loved every minute of it so I'm excited for this new adventure! Does anyone know of the city ordinances for chickens in Bemidji? Is there even any? Also, any suggestions for good beginner breeds? I'm up for layers or more ornamental. Either works. Just want some good chickens. They will be living with 6 red hens, 2 SIlver Seabrights, a lighter Silver Seabright? and a Partridge hen.
Thanks!

Uh oh....don't say that! I would be the one to come home with 5 puppies! Kinda like how I only wanted 3-4 chickens and came home with 21 chicks. We do intend to get a chocolate lab pup next summer - we do a lot of duck/pheasant hunting and our Rottweiler is no good for that! He's really only good for....ummmm....hmmmmm. I'll think of something : ) Our big boy is only a year old, so we're hoping he'll calm down a bit by next summer and adding a pup won't send him over the excitement edge. That, or he needs to brush up on his retrieving and swimming skills. Here's a pic of him actually holding still when he was 7mo old:
Beautiful dog!

Hard to beat a Rottweiler for a watch dog. I had a female that my son brought home which ended up being my dog.
The dog was very well trained but extremely intimidating and kept unwanted people and animals off the property. For many years my Father-In Law would not come to my place because of a fear of the dog. I loved the dog even before that, and it never harmed a bird.

Hi everyone! From Bemidji here! Going to start off with some chicks soon. I'm super excited. I have raised ducks from eggs and loved every minute of it so I'm excited for this new adventure! Does anyone know of the city ordinances for chickens in Bemidji? Is there even any? Also, any suggestions for good beginner breeds? I'm up for layers or more ornamental. Either works. Just want some good chickens. They will be living with 6 red hens, 2 SIlver Seabrights, a lighter Silver Seabright? and a Partridge hen.

Thanks!

Welcome!! We're glad you're here!

I'm not sure the ordinance in Bemidji but maybe try google "Bemidji MN chickens ordinance" or go to the city website and call directly. Often online, though, many city's have the exact wording of the laws online and that way you can make sure someone at city hall is telling it straight.

I'm excited for you with your chickens! Do you already have the other breeds you mentioned? I have heard Orpingtons and Australorps are great first chickens for friendliness plus laying. There's a bunch of reviews on here, too, you can see a lot of opinions on each breed and maybe some match your interest. https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

Also on My Pet Chicken they have a breeds list that lists laying rates, personality, cold-tolerance, and coop vs free-range tolerance for each breed: http://www.mypetchicken.com/chicken-breeds/breed-list.aspx

I think you'll get some great help here, too!

Welcome new folks! I don't want to miss anyone, so we will leave it at that.

It seems many of you are having difficulties getting eggs from those Cream Legbars. Frankly, a bird that is a good layer, even if moved from one place to another, should only be off laying this time of year for a week or ten days, then pick things up again. I don't know as I would have much use for such birds who are so fickle as to stop laying for a whole month, even if they lay diamond crusted eggs ;) I have to wonder if this could be a result of having a line that has not been genetically managed? Line breeding can be a great thing or it can be an awful thing if the family tree is kept too narrow.

eunderth- what breeds you choose are truly a personal preference. If you want birds that need little extra pampering in winter, then look for cold hardy breeds like Buckeyes and Chanteclers that were developed FOR cold climates. I do not add heat, but I do add extra light in winter, and I get eggs. The breeds who suffer the most are those with big single combs. Cochins and other feather footed breeds do well, but they are not great layers. So, like I said, it is really a personal preference and for some, pretty and docile breeds who don't lay much are fine, while others want birds who will lay every day.

Hard to beat a Rottweiler for a watch dog. I had a female that my son brought home which ended up being my dog.
The dog was very well trained but extremely intimidating and kept unwanted people and animals off the property. For many years my Father-In Law would not come to my place because of a fear of the dog. I loved the dog even before that, and it never harmed a bird.

Hi ejb3810! Yeah, he's a great dog! He's just very busy and doesn't think before he does anything. He's already eaten about 10 bees (his face swells up and we have to overdose him with benadryl) and runs into stuff because he's constantly distracted. Just yesterday, he was walking while watching a butterfly and walked right into our swingset : ) He doesn't care much for the chicks, which is pretty hilarious! He'll literally freeze when they come by him - one peck and he's on the run with them following. I'm hoping he becomes less of a baby with the chickens. Like your dog, he does keep unwanted animals off of our property, which is reassuring. Predators won't get too close to the run with him around.

Hi there! I am not from MN but I have been expecting a shipment of chicks from Urch/Turnland for the last month and a half and they are from your lovely state. Today is the last shipment day for them and I have not received a call notifying me that my birds have been shipped. I was wondering if anyone on this thread can tell me if that might be due to AI? Has it impacted out of state shipping? I will call Mr. Urch this evening but was hoping that I could find out this much information from you all. Thank You in Advance.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom