Minnesota!

I just found a pet home for one of my show hopefuls for same darn thing. Basically the wing primaries don't tuck correctly and flip out instead of next to the body.

These are my own birds from about 5 years ... you can really see the wing faults on them. Pretty otherwise, but it passes on like wildfire if you continue to keep them in your breeders.

When you spread the wings, you can actually see a visible split, instead of a nice fan of feathers.

Minnie, that zsa zsa really does look she is cuddling in that pic! will she have other chickens for companions or is she an only?
That wasn't even the snuggly part! Yes, she got a few hens from another neighbor who divorced and didn't have a place to keep her hens in the fall. She got a Cochin cockerel from me (Mr. Fluff). She is going to do two batches of meat chickens too this year. She is a sweetheart.

@Minniechickmama , what is a split wing?

And I'm pretty sure you're right on about that white silkie of mine. I think she laid a little white egg while I was on vacation. I was thinking it was too early for her to lay, but maybe not. Hopefully, that means I'll get some nice dark eggs from my BCM ladies soon. They're the same age.
Split wing isn't always as obvious as on the Silkies. The definition of a split wing is a distinct gap between the primary and secondary feathers of a the wing due to the absence of a feather. If you count the primary feathers the Primaries will come up one feather short. Here is a diagram of the wing feathers, the feather closest to the Secondaries is missing in a split wing:

THe snow here isnt too bad but it is coming down. I see they are closing all of the schools over by you @Minniechickmama

Yup, they called it about 5:30 or so for our school. The roads will be bad if this keeps up over night, regardless if we get all the snow they are calling for.

Finally got my eggs for setting washed up, 200 are in. I had lots more to wash to eat or sell for eating. I dewormed some this week, so those were tossed and will continue to be for a few more days. One tray with 45 Easter Eggers, so if anyone is looking for some in 3 weeks, you know where to look. I won't keep many of them, and I might not keep any of them this time. It sure is fun to see the different colors and shapes that come out of that pen though. I have some pure Black Ameraucana roosters over Black Amer. hens, 2 BLRW hens, 1 Black EE with muffs and feather stubbed legs (lays a dark olive egg), 1 Dark Blue cuckoo feather footed, muffed, bearded and dewlap hen, 1 Minorca who hasn't laid an egg yet this year, 2 light buff and blue EE hens, and a reddish hen with green legs who lays light brown, oh, and 1 Blue Cuckoo Marans hen. There is a lot of black that comes out of these because the roosters are black, but some have been kinda cool.

I finally got some Welsummers in too, and even a couple of Wellie eggs developing and getting ready to hatch around the 31st. I have really been spreading the hatches out this year, not every week like other years.

I know we are going to wake up to a Winter Wonderland. I hope everyone is safe and warm. I think Klop and I got the worst of it out of our group though.

@minniechickmama wow! That's a lot of eggs and breeds! Will be excited to see pics.

Brought the hen and rooster in yesterday for necropsies. They said it would give a better picture to bring him in too. Sad. It will be good to get an answer. The vet from the U was guessing MG. He was so nice though. He took his time and explained things to me, and said if it is something like that... they can come out and blood test the whole flock. So, not the best news- but at the same time, nothing is certain yet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom