Minnesota!

everyone must be out with their chickens....and gardens....and graduation parties.....and....hey, where are you all?

Minnesotanice, bears pass through here, sometimes often enough that I have to take down the feeders each night. But the last 2 years bears have been scarce.

Hope all is well with everyone, (flocks and family)

I have a question. I'm still new at the chicken thing
I have a buff that has laid a egg every day since she started laYing a year ago. And it has been 3 days and she has not laid a egg. I did just add 4 new 12 week chickens to the group. a week ago. She did lay for a few days and has stopped now
Getting worried

everyone must be out with their chickens....and gardens....and graduation parties.....and....hey, where are you all?

Minnesotanice, bears pass through here, sometimes often enough that I have to take down the feeders each night. But the last 2 years bears have been scarce.

Hope all is well with everyone, (flocks and family)

I've been sitting inside on the couch where the air conditioning is
big_smile.png

I have a buff that has laid a egg every day since she started laYing a year ago. And it has been 3 days and she has not laid a egg. I did just add 4 new 12 week chickens to the group. a week ago. She did lay for a few days and has stopped now
Getting worried

I wouldn't worry as long as she's healthy. When I add chickens, I notice a small change in laying behaviors. It'll be quick and temporary. She could also be molting or broody.

well, after mentioning the bear, she came back at 3 am this morning, and mother of all, she is huge! Didn't care at all about me yelling or banging things, but a phone ring tone got her moving.

She took one of the feeders and romped off into the field, sort of low growling or else moaning with happiness while she crunched the feeder.

thats what I get for being lazy and not hauling the feeders in every night.

I'm worried she'll go after the hoop coop. Guess if I was smart I would bring the chicken feeders in every night too!

It gets scary when they become less afraid of sounds. About 12 years ago, I ran into a momma bear and some cubs at a dumpster where we were camping. Of course the porta-potty was by the dumpster. We tried everything to get her to move and she just got more and more peeved. She was clearly a frequenter of the dumpster and didn't care about people. I decided to just pee on a tree the rest of the weekend! And that's my one and only bear story.

Here I thought the deer after my feeders was bad.....

Getting worried

How are they today? With the heat ramping up and the storms we have, you might have some stress from that and they are just taking a break. Do they free range at all? I would start searching in weeds and around the yard if you do. I have Easter Eggers ranging in the pasture and around the building and I have found two nests after noticing a drop in eggs from them. My indoor birds are dropping a little too. If we get big storms, it always throws a few of them off.

Also can you help me to figure out what breed this could be. I got it from my nephew he has all his chickens and roosters together.

Back
Top Bottom