Minorca X WFBS to improve type anyone heard of this?

WarrenHound

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2012
texas
a friend of mine told me that he had read an article regarding crossing these birds to improve the type of one breed or the other.

have any of you heard of this? do you think it works? does it hinder the breeds rather than aid them?

if you have pictures of a WFBS X Minorca please show me i am curious now lol

What is a WFBS? Standard Minorca can improve the size of any Mediterranean breed.

And for anybody else reading this post. When using abbreviations, one must first define the abbreviation. Like this- for an example.

I crossed a silver laced wyandotte (SLW) with a black minorca (BM) and the offspring had rose combs like the SLW but were black like the BM.

Tim

To Warren Hound and Tadkerson: The new cross may LOOK better to you but then you will have a mutt not a Minorca or Black Spanish. It will take several generations to fix the problem you are trying to solve. Try strain crossing within the breed instead.I am not being condescending nor a know-it-all, just never understood why crossing breeds to get something that looks like something else actually IS THAT SOMETHING ELSE. Any rate, my comments are sincere and NOT MEANT TO BE MEAN AT ALL>>>Good luck whatever you do. Glad you mentioned the Silver Laced Wyandotte/Black Minorca Cross...I love rosecomb black chickens but never tried this. I'll try it...Many thanks...

I agree and would not cross a minorca (M) to a white faced black spanish (WFBS) to improve the WFBS. I understand where you are coming from with this cross.

The offspring would not conform to the standard of either parent. After any out cross, there must be additional breeding to establish a breed/varieties standard within future offspring. I did not mean that by simple crossing the two birds (M x WFBS) that the offspring would conform to either standard. I wish it was that simple but it is not.

Tim

Last edited:
To Warren Hound and Tadkerson: The new cross may LOOK better to you but then you will have a mutt not a Minorca or Black Spanish. It will take several generations to fix the problem you are trying to solve. Try strain crossing within the breed instead.I am not being condescending nor a know-it-all, just never understood why crossing breeds to get something that looks like something else actually IS THAT SOMETHING ELSE. Any rate, my comments are sincere and NOT MEANT TO BE MEAN AT ALL>>>Good luck whatever you do. Glad you mentioned the Silver Laced Wyandotte/Black Minorca Cross...I love rosecomb black chickens but never tried this. I'll try it...Many thanks...
i don't intend to i am asking out of curiosity =] i only have 1 minorca and she is getting a hook up with another minorca this year lol

my friend told me in the middle of a conversation about how some add this or that into a bloodline to improve certain aspects such as tail length and position, color or combs and earlobes.

so i was curious how the F1 or F2 would differ from the parents with some pictures

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom