Here's my situation and my procrastination excuse: I am very short on money right now and there is the possibility I will move within a year (taking the ladies with me!). I won't be able to build my dream $1,000+ fortress with run that I've dreamed of, but I think anything is better than what they have now. I want to expand the flock, but since I might be moving I am putting it off, though I am unsure if I should plan for additions with what I build.

I have three goals:
- A coop that is spacious and easy to clean for the ladies
- A coop/updated run that is as inexpensive as possible
- A covered run where I could leave them for a few days unattended, as by necessity, I am away a lot and currently pay a twice-daily chicken sitter (I've had issues with my automatic door) when I am away. I fixed the door this morning! :rolleyes:

The good news is, I am handy and somewhat experienced in building/woodwork. I also have a fair amount of wood from a job-build I just finished and tons of hardware cloth.
For the coop part, to start, you might want to consider making some changes to what you currently have so that the entire structure functions as a coop, not a mini coop + mini run.

This is a general copy/paste of suggestions, and your coop isn't quite the same as the type that I'd normally suggest this for (because the coop portion sits higher than the run portion), however if you have some wood working skills maybe it'll give you a few ideas on how to incorporate some of these ideas into your set up?

To turn it from 2 small "boxes" (tiny coop above tiny run) into 1 bigger "box" you'll want to remove as much of the inside coop wall as possible, plus the floor. Take out the old roosts too.

Nests might be able to stay as is, or may need to be relocated elsewhere or replaced - depends on the structure of the coop and how things inside stack up once done.

Run a new roost(s) lengthwise or widthwise across the newly open space, depending on how much roost is needed. Ideally you’d like 12” per bird but 10” can suffice in many cases.

Board up some of the external wire walls so that the roost area is protected from winds and rain. Do NOT fully cover up all the wire, you need ventilation and natural light, so at the very least a few inches under the roofline should remain open. If your climate allows for it, you can leave entire walls open with just the mesh, or make it convertible for the season by covering up open walls for winter, and then uncovering for summer.

Example of a modified prefab: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-renovated-prefab-coop.1440258/

For the coop part, to start, you might want to consider making some changes to what you currently have so that the entire structure functions as a coop, not a mini coop + mini run.

This is a general copy/paste of suggestions, and your coop isn't quite the same as the type that I'd normally suggest this for (because the coop portion sits higher than the run portion), however if you have some wood working skills maybe it'll give you a few ideas on how to incorporate some of these ideas into your set up?

To turn it from 2 small "boxes" (tiny coop above tiny run) into 1 bigger "box" you'll want to remove as much of the inside coop wall as possible, plus the floor. Take out the old roosts too.

Nests might be able to stay as is, or may need to be relocated elsewhere or replaced - depends on the structure of the coop and how things inside stack up once done.

Run a new roost(s) lengthwise or widthwise across the newly open space, depending on how much roost is needed. Ideally you’d like 12” per bird but 10” can suffice in many cases.

Board up some of the external wire walls so that the roost area is protected from winds and rain. Do NOT fully cover up all the wire, you need ventilation and natural light, so at the very least a few inches under the roofline should remain open. If your climate allows for it, you can leave entire walls open with just the mesh, or make it convertible for the season by covering up open walls for winter, and then uncovering for summer.

Example of a modified prefab: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-renovated-prefab-coop.1440258/
Amazing! What a stellar example. I could definitely manage something like this!!

Here in NC we don't need a fully enclosed coop. A roofed run with a 3-sided shelter on the windward end is all that our birds really require against the weather.

This is my Camp Cockerel. It's a temporary holding facility for low-value birds, but could be duplicated in a more predator-proof fashion using sturdier wire and putting wire over the top instead of just a tarp. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/camp-cockerel.77789/

0618220638-jpg.3163928

The winter batch of growing cull cockerels will need another half a wall against winter winds.

Hello Flock,

I have four 9-month-old Buff Orpingtons. They live in a small prefabricated coop (rated for four chickens but I doubt these claims) but free-range all day. I believe it is 2x2 with two roosting bars and nesting boxes (not included in the size). I have installed an automatic coop door. They are on a layer feed with 24/7 access to water, grit, and oyster shell. I have been planning on upgrading their coop, as I think it is too small for them. It is just a project that has been on hold. Within the last two months, the chickens have been displaying unusual behaviors, and I would like to solicit some advice. This is my first flock, and while I have done research into these issues, I would really appreciate some tailored advice.

Staying out at night
Situation: The hens prefer to roost on the roof rather than in the coop. For a few weeks, only one hen stayed out. Now it is occasional but still happens. I have not been able to determine a clear pecking order

My suspicions: Is the coop too small? They were fine with it for a long while. Does the colder weather have anything to do with it?

What I've done: I have taken pains to ensure the coop stays pristinely clean. I have checked and treated for mites (no visible mites found) consistently. I have plans to build a bigger coop. I have made sure that the door isn't closing before they have the opportunity to go inside.

Laying outside of the coop
Situation: A few weeks ago, every single hen started laying outside the coop. We have a wildflower meadow in our backyard, so finding the eggs has been a huge challenge. Since I found the first stash (a pile of 15 eggs, ha!), I have not found any more. So I don't even know if they are laying (as of two weeks)!

Suspicions: Is it again a problem with coop size? Is it a habit that just happened one day and now carries on?

What I've done: Put two dummy eggs total in the two nesting boxes. I consistently take eggs as they are laid throughout the day and have never let them build up. I've kept them in a small enclosed run for a little longer each morning. I've "destroyed" nests in the wilderness after discovering the first egg stash.

Scraggly looking
Situation: My usually fat, beautiful girls are looking a bit thin and scruffy. There are many feathers on my property. This concerns me in tandem with the other odd behaviors, but I'm probably overreacting. I can't find any more eggs (could be my searching, could be that they are not laying).

Suspicions: Is this a molt? I thought they were a little young for that.

What I've done: Nothing special, just making sure they have clean food, water, etc. I've inspected their bodies too.

It hurts my heart to think the ladies are unhappy. Is my solution just to build a bigger coop? What other solutions can I implement? Once I build the new coop, how do I break them of the habit of staying outside and laying eggs in the wilderness? Do you think something is stressing them out? I've never seen evidence of predators or even mice, but they can see my cats through the window. I have a dog but he is not often around them nowadays.

Thank you for your time and wisdom!
Update:

Please excuse my delay in updating, as things have been hectic. With your help, I was able to modify my prefabricated coop to accommodate my... voluptuous ladies. This also coincided with the passing of the solstice, so it's unsure what played apart or what the exact solution was. Within a few weeks of the solstice and my completion of expanding the coop, they all looked beautiful again. They stopped roosting on the roof and they began laying again!

Attachments

• PXL_20230209_201318242.jpg
    PXL_20230209_201318242.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20230101_223708993.jpg
    PXL_20230101_223708993.jpg
    734.6 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20230224_225539134.jpg
    PXL_20230224_225539134.jpg
    837.2 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20230224_225547263.jpg
    PXL_20230224_225547263.jpg