Miserable, puffed out 3 y.o. RIR - laid small lash egg after not laying for 2 years

chickenherder26

Chirping
Sep 19, 2021
Wisconsin
Hi all, I've been on here lots of times looking for solutions for various things and I"m not sure there is much we can do currently but taking a chance and posting this. Not really sure what's wrong with our 3 yo RIR who hasn't laid an egg for 2 years. On Thursday when I got home from work the kids had noticed she was staying by herself in the coop, puffed out. We initially thought maybe she had sour crop, as her crop felt mostly empty but just slightly squishy, so started the miconazole, which we have successfully used in the past. She is not interested in eating or drinking but currently is in our garage with wet feed mash and water with vitamins; she wasn't interested in scrambled egg. She is pooping frequently, yesterday it was yellow and watery; still that today but with some solids in it. See pics. Interesting thing is that she laid the lash egg today after inexplicably just stopping laying 2 years ago when she was only 1 year old. Her abdomen is maybe kind of swollen and i did try to check in her vent for an egg but I didn't feel anything, just the muscles of the vent (maybe i didn't go deep enough but was shooting for 2 inches in). Her backside has been extremely messy. Normally she is quite a heavy and docile bird. They eat a complete feed, currently AllFlock, as the older ones don't lay anymore, but do get sunflower seeds probably daily for a treat (we are aware to not treat them too much but it might happen sometimes between all of us). We did give her a calcium citrate today after the lash egg and can do that for the next several days, just in case. I ordered amoxicillin but don't have any currently. We have never treated them for worms after having chickens for 2.5 years but there is no way to have the fecal float test done this weekend; I can try next week. Incidentally we have a 4 yo Buff Orpington who has struggled with sour crop twice and currently seems to have impacted crop even though she acts very normally and is doing her normal chicken things. I only mention it because maybe it reinforces testing for worms. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Attachments

• Steak.jpg
    Steak.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 19
  • #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 6
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 7
  • #3.jpg
    #3.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 7
  • lash egg.jpg
    lash egg.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 7
With her history of not laying for 2 years, her tail down position, the lash egg, and the yellow urates with the black bits of poop, I would suspect she has egg yolk peritonitis or salpingitis. Antibiotics may or may not help, but I would try them. It can be common with her issues, to have a full lower abdomen between her legs, so I would check for that. Ascites can be common with the yellow urates and other issues. Crop issues can sometimes be related as well. I would try to get her eating, and scrambled egg, wet feed, or tuna are good to offer. A vitamin such as B complex 1/4 tablet daily may help her appetite.

Let us know how she gets along. You can crush 1/2 or 1/4 tablet of the B complex into a spoonful of water and give it with a dropper or syringe.

She's doing about the same. Not wanting to eat or drink much but we are trying with cat food and things she likes. We started the Vit. B complex. Waiting for the antibiotics still unfortunately.

Well, she is still with us and does seem somewhat better. Is eating and drinking better, tail up again although she still keeps to herself when with all the others. (We have had her in the garage with a friend most of the time, but put them with the others for the afternoons). Got the antibiotics on Saturday finally and started them. Her poop does look better too, loose but not as watery like it was, and is now a dark brown greenish color. She definitely is not back to normal -- she almost seems to have some kind of vision or depth perception issues now -- but we'll keep at it. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom