Missing airsack (hatch virgin)

TBR Prophetess

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 27, 2012
Incubating (for a first time) 2 silkies 2 Poland 1 Friesland fowl and 1 orpington, today 7th day. Problem: orpington unusually large literally grows in front of my eyes very pronounced and NO AIRSACK whatsoever ???? Until today it's almost over half covered meaning dark that can't see through??? I would have thought it had for some reason started earlier but where is the airsack? I'm using own made incubator ordinary lamp checking temp on top of eggs with meat probe thermometer every now and then, turn at least 4 times a day, no sign of bacterial dots. What's going on? Some mysterious deciese? Is there anything I can do about airsack? Humidity 55%><5

Other eggs within normal growth stage Friesland shows bacterial dots and other Poland got starcrack but covered it with candle vax... My incubator methods maybe dodgy but can't wait to buy proper incubator I want to give it a shot, really

AND it appears to be stuck on the other side...things are not looking good with orpington. When would it be appropriate to remove it?

One more thing, there appears to be dark "African map" where the airsack should be....aaarrrgh..

Last edited:
They were shipped yes bought them from Ebay advertised as lucky dip, I'll try to take pictures of my incubation set up if it means anything tho I suppose what only matters is the temp and humidity and oxygen exchange innit

It is a damaged air cell then. It is common for shipped eggs. Not anything you did or didn't do. Just let it be. Sometimes they hatch ok but usually don't hatch very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lori

YOU HAVE NOTHING BUT TROUBLES!
Incubating (for a first time) 2 silkies 2 Poland 1 Friesland fowl and 1 orpington, today 7th day. Problem: orpington unusually large literally grows in front of my eyes very pronounced and NO AIRSACK whatsoever ???? Until today it's almost over half covered meaning dark that can't see through??? I would have thought it had for some reason started earlier but where is the airsack?
I'm using own made incubator ordinary lamp checking temp on top of eggs with meat probe thermometer
every now and then, turn at least 4 times a day, no sign of bacterial dots. What's going on? Some mysterious deciese? Is there anything I can do about airsack? Humidity 55%><5
Other eggs within normal growth stage Friesland shows bacterial dots
and other Poland got starcrack but covered it with candle vax... My incubator methods maybe dodgy but can't wait to buy proper incubator I want to give it a shot, really
AND it appears to be stuck on the other side...things are not looking good with orpington. When would it be appropriate to remove it?
One more thing, there appears to be dark "African map" where the airsack should be....aaarrrgh..
I would advise you stop wasting time and money on E bay eggs and inadequate incubators.

I got eggs off of EBay myself. They were packed perfectly. Each egg was wrapped in bubble wrap put in a small box with packing peanuts in a larger box filled with peanuts. Batch one I got 5 of 18, one in the incubator 4 from a broody. The next two from the same person (one batch was free) I had no hatching. The boxes sat in a Florida sort facility for 2 days so that really helps but the crazy part is one of the eggs in the last batch was broken! Considering how well they were packed all I can see is any box with fragile on it is a target for Post office Football games in the sort facility and probably was dumped in a plane from 20 feet up. I have given up on Mailed eggs and now I found a local guy that sells fertile eggs. I went this week and got 2 dozen, 12 for the incubator and 12 for my crazed Broody who will sit until she has chicks. I would look on craigslist for fertile eggs or people selling chicks and go that way; Mailed eggs are not so great.

welcome-byc.gif
Sorry the missing airsac does seem to be a rotten egg and the star cracks don't seem to bode well. They probably have already let germs in. I would try for local eggs if you really want to hatch them. I have good luck buying day old chicks. Maybe you could ry that until you can afford an incubator.

Back
Top Bottom