Missing Female Guinea questions

maeflower1992

Songster
Mar 18, 2023
Ohio
Okay So yesterday and earlier today in the back of my head I noticed I am missing a Guinea hen. She is bonded to my male. Questions are
1. Could she be sitting on eggs somewhere?
2. If so does she stay on them 24/7?
3. Could he lead me back to her?
4. They normally roost in the coop he is coming back and the other hen but not his mate.
5 If she is actually dead how will this effect him? Her mate?

I have not seen any feathers or any sign she is dead. I know they can travel and an animal can travel with them once killed but no activity on my deer cams.

Thank you for any advice.

When I've had individuals go missing, I've found they respond to what I grew up calling a squirrel call. Making an open fist with a gap between all fingers and your palm (see photo) then pressing it against your lips and making a loud kissing noise into the open fist. Should give you quite a loud noise.

For whatever reason, mine seem to think it's an alarm call and they'll all join in (even isolated or stressed ones in my experience).

Maybe it'll convince her to sound off if she's hiding somewhere nearby.

Attachments

• IMG_20230804_214235_689.jpg
    IMG_20230804_214235_689.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 3
Okay So yesterday and earlier today in the back of my head I noticed I am missing a Guinea hen. She is bonded to my male. Questions are
1. Could she be sitting on eggs somewhere?
2. If so does she stay on them 24/7?
3. Could he lead me back to her?
4. They normally roost in the coop he is coming back and the other hen but not his mate.
5 If she is actually dead how will this effect him? Her mate?

I have not seen any feathers or any sign she is dead. I know they can travel and an animal can travel with them once killed but no activity on my deer cams.

Thank you for any advice.
Very likely sitting on a hidden nest. She will stay on the nest 24/7 with brief breaks for food, water and other necessities.

Her mate may lead you to her unless he is paying attention to the 2nd hen.

If a predator takes her, he will take up with the 2nd hen.

Very likely sitting on a hidden nest. She will stay on the nest 24/7 with brief breaks for food, water and other necessities.

Her mate may lead you to her unless he is paying attention to the 2nd hen.

If a predator takes her, he will take up with the 2nd hen.
Okay I know I seem her last afternoon but I forgot to check if they were in that coop that night.

He has nothing to do with the other hen yet. She hangs with the chickens they free range together.

I have new keets that are about 2m old I am just waiting till they are a little older to add them to the older flock.

I may try to see if he will lead me to her. He was hanging out in my moms yard today and I normally don't see him over there. Will also give the call Salt and Timbers recommend.

Okay I know I seem her last afternoon but I forgot to check if they were in that coop that night.

He has nothing to do with the other hen yet. She hangs with the chickens they free range together.

I have new keets that are about 2m old I am just waiting till they are a little older to add them to the older flock.

I may try to see if he will lead me to her. He was hanging out in my moms yard today and I normally don't see him over there. Will also give the call Salt and Timbers recommend.
If you see him standing up straight while staying in one spot, he may well be standing beside the nest.

If you see him standing up straight while staying in one spot, he may well be standing beside the nest.
I found her while she called to him but I have not been able to locate the nest.

Also a side question. My other Guinea that hangs with my chickens is now nesting on chicken eggs... should I let her hatch some or try and break her of it? She is nesting in the chicken coop floor with chicken eggs.

I know chickens can hatch ducks but you don't let ducks harch chicks or they will drown them. I just don't know much a out Guinea hatching.

Back
Top Bottom