Mistake in food? Birds seem thin.

They're laying very well- most days I get 5 eggs, yesterday I had 7/7. Their combs aren't the brightest red but they look pretty normal for their breed (I think). I've been checking a lot for parasites and have never seen anything.
They all seem healthy, they just feel underweight and I don't know anyone else in the area with these breeds to compare them.

chicken lay well // look normal // seem healthy // but FEEL underwieght
i think u worry needlessly if u think u got problems then weigh chicken & keep up with wieght

If your chickens don't like the feed and don't eat it, they will be hungry. If they act like they are starving (running to you when you come with treats, jumping up on you to get those treats, very excited to get food) they are hungry. If they don't act like that then they are probably fine. They certainly look fine to me. I had hens given to me that were thin, but healthy. They acted like they were starving and after extra rations and protein they evened out, gained a little and now seem very content. You can tell a hungry chicken! :p

Possible coccidiosis and a simple fix..Medicated Starter for a couple of weeks..
Medicated starter does not cure cocci, it is just a preventative. To cure you need a higher dose, liquid Corid is great for that. I am just saying this to help others who might read this advice.
There is no indication at all that these hens here are ill, so they should not be treated.
Laging hens, even the dual purpose breeds will be a LOT bonier than what you see in the supermarket case. Those are different breeds all together, designed to put in massive weight in record time and unable to survive past about 10 WEEKS, because of that.
Don’t expect your hens to fill out to even half that heft. It’s normal to feel bones, just like you should feel ribs on your dog, and yourself even... :)
As long as they eat, drink, run around, lay and have good feathers you are fine.

Medicated starter does not cure cocci, it is just a preventative. To cure you need a higher dose, liquid Corid is great for that. I am just saying this to help others who might read this advice.
There is no indication at all that these hens here are ill, so they should not be treated.
Laging hens, even the dual purpose breeds will be a LOT bonier than what you see in the supermarket case. Those are different breeds all together, designed to put in massive weight in record time and unable to survive past about 10 WEEKS, because of that.
Don’t expect your hens to fill out to even half that heft. It’s normal to feel bones, just like you should feel ribs on your dog, and yourself even... :)
As long as they eat, drink, run around, lay and have good feathers you are fine.
I know...Although if the Birds are not showing extreme symptoms the medicated feed helps..Its medicated..

I know...Although if the Birds are not showing extreme symptoms the medicated feed helps..Its medicated..
If the birds aren’t showing any symptoms, one might argue that the Vitamin B deprivation that the medicated feed causes is an unnecessary strain on them. Plus they look like well beyond the starter feed age.

If the birds aren’t showing any symptoms, one might argue that the Vitamin B deprivation that the medicated feed causes is an unnecessary strain on them. Plus they look like well beyond the starter feed age.
:frow...I won't argue..I know what I know and it's the OPs decision who they trust..I don't care if you believe me?..:idunno:frow

Back
Top Bottom