Mistake in food? Birds seem thin.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Kes, Mar 21, 2018.

1. blackdog043

blackdog043 Crowing

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    It should be offered in a separate container, not mixed in with their feed. They will eat what they need of each.

lazy gardener and RonP like this.
  2. peeper89

peeper89 Songster

Feb 21, 2017
    chicken lay well // look normal // seem healthy // but FEEL underwieght
    i think u worry needlessly if u think u got problems then weigh chicken & keep up with wieght

Stephine and KikisGirls like this.
  3. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Crowing

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    If your chickens don't like the feed and don't eat it, they will be hungry. If they act like they are starving (running to you when you come with treats, jumping up on you to get those treats, very excited to get food) they are hungry. If they don't act like that then they are probably fine. They certainly look fine to me. I had hens given to me that were thin, but healthy. They acted like they were starving and after extra rations and protein they evened out, gained a little and now seem very content. You can tell a hungry chicken! :p

4. tigger19687

tigger19687 Songster

I had the same feeling a while ago. Turns out that it was fine.
    I free ranged and they were just starting to lay.
    They were fine but I was a mess thinking that they were not eating enough.

:)

5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Possible coccidiosis and a simple fix..Medicated Starter for a couple of weeks..

6. Stephine

Stephine Songster

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    Medicated starter does not cure cocci, it is just a preventative. To cure you need a higher dose, liquid Corid is great for that. I am just saying this to help others who might read this advice.
    There is no indication at all that these hens here are ill, so they should not be treated.
    Laging hens, even the dual purpose breeds will be a LOT bonier than what you see in the supermarket case. Those are different breeds all together, designed to put in massive weight in record time and unable to survive past about 10 WEEKS, because of that.
    Don’t expect your hens to fill out to even half that heft. It’s normal to feel bones, just like you should feel ribs on your dog, and yourself even... :)
    As long as they eat, drink, run around, lay and have good feathers you are fine.

Bobby Basham and lazy gardener like this.
  7. chickens really

I know...Although if the Birds are not showing extreme symptoms the medicated feed helps..Its medicated..

8. Stephine

Stephine Songster

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    If the birds aren’t showing any symptoms, one might argue that the Vitamin B deprivation that the medicated feed causes is an unnecessary strain on them. Plus they look like well beyond the starter feed age.

lazy gardener likes this.
  9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Agreed.

Stephine likes this.
  10. chickens really

:frow...I won't argue..I know what I know and it's the OPs decision who they trust..I don't care if you believe me?..:idunno:frow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: