Mites on the face

Celeste Cannon

Songster
5 Years
Jan 15, 2018
Los Angeles, California
Hey everyone, so I’ve been having issues with mites on my chickens for the past couple of weeks. I’ve tried lots of methods like oil spray, diatomaceous earth and dusting powder. I heard that I have to clean out the coop and dust the chickens, but it hasn’t worked. I’m worried about dusting their faces because I don’t want them to get the powder in their eyes or mouths. If I dust their bodies will it get rid of the ones on their faces? There aren’t any on their bodies, just their faces. Is there any good medication I could buy or any other techniques? Thanks.

Attachments

• AB9004F8-0ABF-432F-B384-136DF9C56DA8.jpeg
    AB9004F8-0ABF-432F-B384-136DF9C56DA8.jpeg
    264.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 2B8C9E41-8D16-4828-A461-D88112F6BC6A.jpeg
    2B8C9E41-8D16-4828-A461-D88112F6BC6A.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 46
buy a brand new 1 gallon weed sprayer, use pyrethrin in it and mark it and in the future only use it for pyrethrin. Spray every inch inside and outside the coop with it while the chickens are not inside. If you have wood on the run go ahead and spray it down too. Go back and spray again in about 3-4 days to kill any new mites that hatched, dont wait any longer you dont want to give them time to become adults, they become adults fastt! I dont think pyrethrin kills the eggs only the mites.. One more time 4 more days to be for sure you got them all. This should kill all mites and any new ones that hatched.

Treat chickens with ivermectin if bathing them and dusting them didnt work. You'll be mite free real soon!

Routinely treat coop with pyrethrin in spring , twice in summer and n fall. Should keep them under control.

Last edited:
buy a brand new 1 gallon weed sprayer, use pyrethrin in it and mark it and in the future only use it for pyrethrin. Spray every inch inside and outside the coop with it while the chickens are not inside. If you have wood on the run go ahead and spray it down too. Go back and spray again in about 3-4 days to kill any new mites that hatched, dont wait any longer you dont want to give them time to become adults, they become adults fastt! I dont think pyrethrin kills the eggs only the mites.. One more time 4 more days to be for sure you got them all. This should kill all mites and any new ones that hatched.

Treat chickens with ivermectin if bathing them and dusting them didnt work. You'll be mite free real soon!

Routinely treat coop with pyrethrin in spring , twice in summer and n fall. Should keep them under control.
How should I do the wood chips? When I spray the coop again after 4 or so days, do I take out the wood chips when I spray and replace them after? Or do I just keep them in? Also are the eggs going to be safe to eat?

How do you treat with ivermectin? Orally, drench, injectable? What brand and how much for large breeds and bantams?

How should I do the wood chips? When I spray the coop again after 4 or so days, do I take out the wood chips when I spray and replace them after? Or do I just keep them in? Also are the eggs going to be safe to eat?
With mites I remove all bedding, every bit of it. You can spray down the floor and any left over debris. You dont wanna give the mites any chance.

Here's an article on pyrethrin, I forgot all about it being a treatment for mites in chickens too and not just for the coops. That being said, Id still prefer ivermectin for mites.
https://blog.cacklehatchery.com/is-permethrin-a-safe-treatment-for-poultry-lice-and-mites/

Back
Top Bottom