Mites out of control

Sondoun4

Hatching
Jul 2, 2021
Hi! I have 16 hens and the mite problem is out of control. I’ve had chickens for a year now, but this is my first time dealing with this. A few months ago I posted pictures in my local chicken groups of feather loss on a few of them, and everyone said it just looked like molting. Although I was unsure, I decided to wait and see. Suddenly all 16 have severe feather loss, and two have injured their eyes from scratching. I treated them and their coop with Elector PSP a week ago, but they’re still getting worse. It says to wait two weeks for second treatment, but I feel like I need to do it now. It seems like it’s so bad at this point that anemia is a serious concern. One with the eye injury was acting lethargic. (She and other other are separated and healing in the garage). Help please! Tips, advice, wisdom greatly appreciated!

Have you dipped your chickens in the Elector solution? If not, do so now. And go ahead and treat the coop again at the same time.

This is to assume you are in summer and not in winter down at the bottom of the planet.

Have you dipped your chickens in the Elector solution? If not, do so now. And go ahead and treat the coop again at the same time.

This is to assume you are in summer and not in winter down at the bottom of the planet.
Thank you for the reply! Yes, I am in the Northeast US and it has been quite hot. I sprayed them for the first application. I can use a large bowl and sit their bottoms in? I was thinking that might be more effective but wasn’t sure if it was ok to apply that way.

I would do a top to bottom whole body dunk. The chickens will not speak to you for a few days because they probably won't enjoy getting half drowned, but dunking will leave a spinosad residue one them that will repel the mites and that will give them tremendous relief. Not that you'll get anywhere trying to explain that to them.

Back
Top Bottom