Mites... pre-spray new nesting box?

spiritpots

Songster
5 Years
May 17, 2018
Afton, Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
I've been dealing with mites on and off for a couple of months now it had been going fairly well until a few days ago when I saw mites on some of the eggs again. After checking the girls I found that all of them had some mites around their vents and I found mites in the nesting boxes when I pulled them out to clean the coop. I'm using Elector PSP and and now realized that I probably didn't spray the nesting boxes thoroughly enough to kill all of the mites.

I was using a couple of old wooden bushel baskets for the nesting boxes, which I have now discarded. I would like to make wooden nesting boxes but for right now am using two medium size galvanized pails turned on their sides as they are easier to clean out and don't have as many cracks and crevices for mites to hide in as wooden nesting boxes do. Once I get the coop thoroughly cleaned out should I pre-spray the new wooden nesting boxes with Elector PSP before putting them in the coop? Would doing so be a preventive measure and kill any lingering mites?

I appreciate any thoughts or advice you may have. I've been reading the forums here and I know getting rid of mites is a challenge.

I used it before and often times repeat treatments are necessary. Now I use permethrin 10 which works well for me but less costly. I treat weekly for 3 or 4 weeks using the highest solution. I use poultry dust in the nest boxes. I thoroughly spray inside the coop everywhere, every crack and crevice. Better for me to be safe than sorry. I use the 0.50% solution mix.
Permethrin-10.jpg

Attachments

• Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg
    Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Martin'sPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    Martin'sPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 14
  • PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 12
  • PermethrinSpray.jpg
    PermethrinSpray.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 9
  • PoultryDust0.25.jpg
    PoultryDust0.25.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 7
  • permethrinDust.jpg
    permethrinDust.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 6
  • GordonPoultryDust.jpg
    GordonPoultryDust.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 9
  • MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I used it before and often times repeat treatments are necessary. Now I use permethrin 10 which works well for me but less costly. I treat weekly for 3 or 4 weeks using the highest solution. I use poultry dust in the nest boxes. I thoroughly spray inside the coop everywhere, every crack and crevice. Better for me to be safe than sorry. I use the 0.50% solution mix.
View attachment 2705804
Hello! Are the eggs collected with this treatment still edible or is there a delay? Also, it can be used/sprayed while the hens are still sleeping in the coop, correct?
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom