Mites?

dodgewoman

Songster
7 Years
Mar 30, 2012
I'm not sure if my hens have mites but I think they may. I thought at first the bare back areas were from my two roosters as it was only two hens as they are the favorites. Now though it seems to be spreading. I checked the one hen I could catch and I could see very very tiny black bugs on her. Just a few though. So, how the heck do I help them get rid of them!

TSC has both the poultry dust, which is for the birds, and the Sevin spray, which is for the coop/roosts, *not* the birds.

-Kathy

I think technically it's not approved for poultry use but everybody uses it. I use both Sevin and the garden dust from TSC never had a problem w/ either.

Use Seven dust for Plants/Vegies in the shaker as poultry dust, or just buy the poultry dust. You can use these to sprinkle around the pens as well if needed. Diatomaceous Earth can also be used in and around the pen, food grade preferred- up to 2% in the feed for worming as well. The Seven dust for the yard or spray for the yard is certainly okay for around pens.

Just add Diatomaceous Earth to where ever they like to dust bathe. They should take care of the bugs on their own. Add more DE in a few days to replace whatever blows away, etc. Keep in mind that DE only works to kill bugs if it's kept dry, so if it rains on your birds' dustbathing area, you'll have to wait till it dries out again, then add more DE.

TSC has both the poultry dust, which is for the birds, and the Sevin spray, which is for the coop/roosts, *not* the birds.

-Kathy
X2. Mites can be really hard to get rid of so also plan to keep re-treating the birds, coop and nest boxes every 7 to 10 days until you don't see bugs anymore. There will be more that hatch and some that were just missed after your first treatment so you want to keep getting those too.

Back
Top Bottom