Mixed ages... mixed feed?

Sorry about the loss of your rooster. Do you mean the actual shells of the eggs had bubbles?

I’m getting mixed advice about when to switch to layer feed since my girls aren’t actually laying yet but it should be soon. The are currently eating organic grower feed and I just offered grit in a separate container which they don’t seem interested in yet.

Yes the egg shells had weird bubbles on the shells.

Don't give your chickens egg layer feed. Give them non medicated hatch to hen feed, meat bird finisher or something like that. Look at the tag on the nutritional information on the feed bag and make sure the calcium content is around .5 min-1.5%max. Don't get medicated feed either.

The excess calcium is a longer term consumption that will harm the kidneys and liver of non layers and Roosters. It is not an instant killer. You can switch to layer feed once they start laying. No harm will come to your chicken if you don't do it in advance of laying.
The grit and oyster shell are not seen as a treat to chickens. They will take in as they see, they need it.
Chickens long ago did not have processed feed and scientific values associated with what was fed to them. My mother fed her chickens what was available to them. There was no processed feed at that time. We did ALRIGHT.
Layer feed is designed to optimize egg production and make feeding easier. It is formulated to be COMPLETE NUTRITION for layers.
You can achieve same with lower calcium feed and free choice calcium on the side. Added benefit there is it can cover your layers and non layers and roosters ALL in one feed.

Yes the egg shells had weird bubbles on the shells.

Don't give your chickens egg layer feed. Give them non medicated hatch to hen feed, meat bird finisher or something like that. Look at the tag on the nutritional information on the feed bag and make sure the calcium content is around .5 min-1.5%max. Don't get medicated feed either.
I just checked their grower feed says min 1% and max 2% calcium and 19.5% protein. Their really is so many different things available I figure organic while we can afford it and free range for insects with the grit available for now and the oyster shells maybe in a week or two.

The excess calcium is a longer term consumption that will harm the kidneys and liver of non layers and Roosters. It is not an instant killer. You can switch to layer feed once they start laying. No harm will come to your chicken if you don't do it in advance of laying.
The grit and oyster shell are not seen as a treat to chickens. They will take in as they see, they need it.
Chickens long ago did not have processed feed and scientific values associated with what was fed to them. My mother fed her chickens what was available to them. There was no processed feed at that time. We did ALRIGHT.
Layer feed is designed to optimize egg production and make feeding easier. It is formulated to be COMPLETE NUTRITION for layers.
You can achieve same with lower calcium feed and free choice calcium on the side. Added benefit there is it can cover your layers and non layers and roosters ALL in one feed.
I thought with layer feed it was complete for what they needed. Since I’m new to this whole chicken world it seems lots of extras benefit the chicks... we will try the oyster shells on the side once they start laying and see how it goes. We do give a handful of organic scratch feed in the morning too.... We trues live meal worms once last week and they are them all and they were so small and $5 for 100. Too many options. we just want them to be healthy and happy.

You can achieve same with lower calcium feed and free choice calcium on the side. Added benefit there is it can cover your layers and non layers and roosters ALL in one feed.[/QUOTE]

And- probably back in the day - the chickens had plenty to pick from and had access to lots of bugs and other high-protein snacks all over the place. It's what happens when we confine them (I include myself in this category, until I get my rolling chicken fort built) strictly to an area and take away their ability to sufficiently forage that the feed contents become much more important.

Long ago hens were smaller and produced many fewer eggs each year; maybe 80 to 100 if a very good laying hen. Modern layers are expected to produce 300+ eggs per year, and that's hard work! Modern dual purpose birds are larger, and still produce 180 to well over 200 eggs each year. That's a big difference in nutritional needs, and there's been a huge amount of research into making feeds to meet their needs.
The original chickens were small and produced maybe 30 eggs each year, and roamed in SE Asia in the jungle. Again, not who most of us have.
Layer feed is designed to be the only feed available, especially for caged layers. Having larger dual purpose birds, ranging outside and fed additional stuff, can be a problem for them. That's why I feed a 20% protein all-flock feed, with separate oyster shell. My flock of hens, babies, and roosters, all get what they need with no fussing on my part.
Mary

I’ve not seen this “all flock” feed when i’m looking... Ill look next time I’m close to running out. There doesn’t seem to be many options when it comes to organic.

I’ve not seen this “all flock” feed when i’m looking... Ill look next time I’m close to running out. There doesn’t seem to be many options when it comes to organic.
I haven't seen a Organic All-Flock feed. Just Starter, Grower, Starter-Grower and Layers feed in crumbles and pellets.
You can use a Organic Starter or Grower or Starter-Grower with Oyster Shells in a separate container.
I would use Starter or Starter-Grower because I like a feed with 18/20% Protein.
I am currently feeding my 2 year old Golden Comets a Non-Medicated Start and Grow 18% Protein. It's not Organic. GC

Last edited:
TSC or Big R for the organic starter crumble feed and I just found a local small farm that has organic grower feed. The grower feed actually looks like real grains. It’s GMO and corn free

Back
Top Bottom