Mixed Breed Photo Reference *please read guidelines in first post before adding content*

Pics
I am sad to say that I am not very good at sexing my chickens. Our "hen" is a rooster. He is gorgeous, but I am positive that he will not be giving us any eggs. :( He didn't crow for 6 months, and there is no wattle or spurs. I am hoping that he continues to get along with his daddy or we will have to figure out what to do with him.
Oh no! Don't feel bad about mistaking your rooster for a hen. I've done it before, but it was with an adult not a chick! Someone had given it to us and said it was a hen, but we found out that it was no hen! Sometimes they are hard to tell, especially when they are young. I hope he continues to get along with his daddy also. Good luck!

I've 2 chickies like this. I had hoped they were Poulets but turns out they are young Cockerells. Father is a Black Silky, Momma is a light beigh EE. Both are bearded & crested, and have 5 toes. His name went from Suzzie to Sherwood.

This is Shurwoods' brother - Forrest :). He doesn't have quite as much Mahogany on his back as Surewood does, but definately has Rooster feathers on neck & saddle.

Annie is a young Poulet. Poppa is a RIR, Momma is the same light beigh EE hen. She is bearded but lays brown eggs.

Back
Top Bottom