Mixed Breed Photo Reference *please read guidelines in first post before adding content*

Pics
So glad I found this. I am wanting to try this cross, or one similar.
Can you tell me if this breeding added any body size and egg size to the offspring so it is larger than the Sultans?
Yes, they're a tad bigger. She lays pale blue eggs, as does her half sister of the same breed cross. Starting with LF sultan would be a good idea, but they're hard to find. I used an over standard size bantam.

Also, you might well have to do a lot of work to get the resulting birds to be healthy and hardy. I found they inherited the Sultan 'poor doer' bits. They're still active and pretty birds, but they're more prone to lice, worms, and respiratory issues.

Yes, they're a tad bigger. She lays pale blue eggs, as does her half sister of the same breed cross. Starting with LF sultan would be a good idea, but they're hard to find. I used an over standard size bantam.

Also, you might well have to do a lot of work to get the resulting birds to be healthy and hardy. I found they inherited the Sultan 'poor doer' bits. They're still active and pretty birds, but they're more prone to lice, worms, and respiratory issues.

I have 2 hens from a cross of my Spitzhauben rooster over Sultan hen. They kept the Sultan shape, but lost vulture hocks and they have lighter leg feathering. Kept that wonderful Sultan personality as well...actually added to it. They are the BIGGEST characters of all in my flock! Body size increased some as did egg size. One of them lays an egg just barely big enough to go into my "sell" cartons. One of them even went broody last spring!

I have 3 Sultan Hens and 2 Roosters...think I'll give it a go this spring! I had already decided to breed with my Sultan/Spitzhauben hens "Spot & Dot".

IMG_1546.JPG
IMG_1547.JPG

These are my roosters from my Buff Orpington rooster x Golden Laced Wyandotte hens.

image.jpg
In my incubator right now I have
-Lavender Orpington x Blue Crested Polish
-Lavender Orpington x Easter Egger
-Lavender Orpington x Black Copper Maran
My last one I’m not sure who the mom is. Lol. It could be
A Speckled Sussex, Buff Orpington, Delaware, or Golden Laced Wyandotte
My Lavender Orpington is my rooster .

Wish me luck on getting them to hatch. Can’t wait to see them

View attachment 1309603 In my incubator right now I have
-Lavender Orpington x Blue Crested Polish
-Lavender Orpington x Easter Egger
-Lavender Orpington x Black Copper Maran
My last one I’m not sure who the mom is. Lol. It could be
A Speckled Sussex, Buff Orpington, Delaware, or Golden Laced Wyandotte
My Lavender Orpington is my rooster .

Wish me luck on getting them to hatch. Can’t wait to see them
I'll save you the suspense. They will all be solid black. Lavender is a recessive gene. The Polish might produce Blue.

Back
Top Bottom