Mixed Chicks - species and sex?

Might want to have a segregation area ready to go...
...at about 4 months it can get ugly fast.
Will you slaughter for meat...or....?

Your guidance is always appreciated, thanks!

Our winter is here, I want to make progress on getting the adjacent run covered and wired in but there is a limit to what I can do. Likelihood of a segregated area is slim, would require carving up the space I have already and that will put additional pressure on the flock and myself. In a "crisis" I could put the excess males in the run and keep the pop door closed but that would be a very short term relief valve only.

I have the name/number of a local mobile game processor who will come to me. Given your advice I will give him a call and ask about his ability to respond mid winter; have heard that roosters make good broth but chicken is part of my regular diet so...

My sister spent hours communing with all the chick, at times I saw 4-5 climbing on her. My inclination tends to the less sentiment/more practical side of the ledger.

I have the name/number of a local mobile game processor who will come to me. Given your advice I will give him a call and ask about his ability to respond mid winter; have heard that roosters make good broth but chicken is part of my regular diet so...
That's great!
I slaughter those trouble makers by 14-16 weeks, rest carcass for 3 days then put 'em on the grill!

Back
Top Bottom