Mixing Bantams with regular chicks

Roger98

Songster
Mar 16, 2018
I have a few concerns because I just brought 8 bantams home to add to the 6 chicks I have already. One of them is a silkie and already is being pulled and dragged by a bigger chick by its feet. I separated her and I'm not sure what to do about that. The other problem I have is that one of the bantam chicks seems clumsey? It seems to not have good balance and was sleeping on it's back. Idk if that's normal for very young chick's after a car ride but please help.

I would give the weak chicks SaveAChick in the water or a few drops of Poultry NutriDrench. I have raised bantams less than a week younger than full size chicks together in a brooder, and they did very well. I did keep them in my living room at first and watched their behavior closely. You can construct a little screen or fence between smaller or weaker chicks for a few days until they start growing and fetting stronger. Bantams are pretty hardy after the first 10 days to 2 weeks. Usually when they are all raised rogether in a brooder, they will learn to get along for life. I still have some of my original banties and regular size hens together after 7 years. There can always be bullies or more agressive breeds that may need to be separated or rehomed.

Back
Top Bottom