Mixing Breeds in the Flock

Oh yeah, they do usually distinguish between those, forgot about that. Though I thought they were separate breeds? Although with hatchery stock you're probably right that they're basically the same. And they don't seem to distinguish between heritage and production RIR which is a shame because I'm not even sure they're RIRs.

Anyway, that's nice they were friendly and good foragers and everything but yeah, I've heard of the reds being mean to other birds. :/

We've had a mixed flock about 1.5 yrs now. 2 groups, now together. Still more breeds we'd like to try.

Currently have: 2 Isa Browns (a type of red sexlink, I think?), 1 mixed mutt, 1 golden campaine, 2 EE's, 1 light brahma
Lost this summer from predator at about 5 months: 2 BR, 1 GLW, 1 SLW, 1 EE

So far our family prefers our EE's, light Brahma and the mutt. By far the kids (ages 7, 6, 3) love the light brahma, she's easy to catch and loves the attention. EE's because of the green eggs, puffy cheeks and they're friendly if you can catch them.

We will not get any more Isa's or BR's. The Isa's tag-team and bully everyone. And even at 4-5 months the BR's were becoming "pecky"

We have a huge mix flock although mix used loosely
I have
3heritage rir
2 production rir
3 hybrid heritage rir/ production rir
4 buff orpington's
1 unknown mix (possibly half buff Orpington)
8 black jersey giants
5 leghorns
12 barred rocks
4 buff silkies
2 grey silkies
6 light brahmas
6 Dominique's
1araucana
1 ee
16 Cornish cross
1 polish roo
For a total of 75?
The buff orpington's and rir were seperated for breeding over this last summer/spring but next year I think I'm doing jersey giants and light brahmas and a project hyper bird I hope to get most breeds seperated next summer but who knows all breeds with no roo will be a mix flock and the ones that are just 1 might become a misfit flock

I'm partial to a mixed flock myself, they're SO much fun! The only problem is trying to figure out who the dads are when hatching chicks because I always have more than one roo ;) Next year should be easier, though - the two boys I'll be using for breeding then are completely different from each other. One is part ameracauna, part blue australorp and either part black australorp and/or FBCM; the other is half light brahma, half buff orp. I like hatching mixes - my last two hatches produced a total of 3 white chicks and I don't even know how because the parents are both black! (Both parents have the blue feather gene as well as whatever colour the ameracauna grandparent/great-grandparent was.) I also had one green egg-layer (if it's a girl :p) hatch out of a brown marans (part marans, anyway) egg!

Personality-wise, I also like the variety. Depending on how many you have, you might find that they all split up into their own smaller groups, each with differing personalities/behaviours. Makes for really good chicken tv! One of the best episodes I ever watched (of "chicken tv") was when a white phoenix (a bantam) roo I had mounted my black australorp (large fowl) hen and she wanted none of that.... Well, he kept right on doing his business as she was running away with him still on her back! :lau

That's funny! My 8 year old can't u set stand why the hens are getting jumped on
1f61c.png

I did it this last spring/ summer but most people here refused to help and refused to eat the food or eggs and no one wanted to cull any chickens so we sold all the extra chickens and I'm thinking about converting the 100 by 30 garden into coops
I'm thinking of doing that also but I have to admit my baby daughter who is 12 helps me with my hens, my baby son 15 almost 16 is pretty handy and will build me any thing I want his father helps with the big builds but he turned an old building into the nicest safest coop ! Only think is he builds it his way and you either let him or do it your self( just like his father) lol

I have found that the buff orp roosters tend to be very aggressive and have had them attack by 3 yr old son.

Hens are really docile and breed/hatch chick well.

I have found that the buff orp roosters tend to be very aggressive and have had them attack by 3 yr old son.

Never heard anyone say that buff orpington roosters were aggressive. I've read where Rhode Island Red roosters can get that way as they age. Mmmm, some people get that way too as they age! :)

I have found that the buff orp roosters tend to be very aggressive  and have had them attack by 3 yr old son.

We had the same with our BO roo. Had my 3 yr old pinned down so he's gone now. He was suppose to be a she and was a sweetheart until hormones kicked in.

Back
Top Bottom