mixing chickens and ducks

TerriKY

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 3, 2014
Just in the last couple weeks my duck has became real aggressive toward my hens. He has been in with them since they were babies. But now its like he is trying to breed the hens. He gets on top of the hens and won't let them up and two of my black hens are now missing feathers on their back. They are bald on their backs now. He only seems to pick on the two black ones. I separated them last night but have got to find a better way to separate. Does anyone know what is going on with my duck?

Drakes are notoriously over sexed during the breeding season. Your drake is maturing and since he has been raised with chickens they are the object of his desires. Keep him separated. Drakes have penises - roosters do not. Having an 'object' inserted into their bodies can possibly lead to a hen prolapsing and dying.

Ok thank you. I did not realize this. When I initially asked people if putting them together would be ok and they said yes. They failed to say that he could hurt them.

No my other duck I had for him died half way through the summer and haven't been able to get him a girlfriend yet. She had some kind of neurological issues.

That's the issue right there. If he had hens, he'd be much more likely to leave the chicken hens alone. It's not guaranteed, but it would help. You need to separate him from your hens.

Back
Top Bottom