Mixing ducks of different ages

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jarcoo0153, Apr 2, 2011.

1. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    I have four full grown ducks, 3 males and one female, Then I have 3- 5 1/2 week olds, and 6- 2 week olds. When Can I start mixing?

2. bettynoodlees

bettynoodlees Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    2 weeks ago I put four 1-week old Pekins with eight 2 month old mallards with no problems...
    Fast forward 2 weeks and the Pekins are the same size as the mallards [​IMG]

3. maralynn28

maralynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I have heard of the older ducks attacking the young ones, I have 4 - 2wk olds that I'm waiting to put in with my year olds. Right now they are spending time together through a fence to ensure their safety and so far no problems. I'm just watching them and if they seem ok then I will mix.

4. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I have 4, 5 week old Mallards that I tried to mingle with my 3, 3 week old Pekins and 7, 3 week old Campbells. It didn't go so well.....one of the Mallards, biggest of the 4 - leaning towards male - was rushing the pekins and grabbing them by the back of the neck. They have been in the same coop for a week now, separated by chicken wire. Yesterday while cleaning the coop, I let the younger ones out and the Mallard was a little bit nicer, but still nippy. Soon enough the Pekins and Campbells will be bigger and can stand up fpr themselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by