Mixing silkie colours, what will i get ..

Melmba

Chirping
Aug 7, 2020
So by next spring i will have ..
3 males, black, blue bow tie, grey
6 females, 2 black, 1 white, 1 lavender, 1 grey paint

What colour MIGHT i get if i breed these 3 groups ...

Group1..
black male with white fem and grey paint

Group2.. blue bowtie male with blue fem and lav fem
Obvs ill get blue from blue&blue(50/50 bowties or full)

Group3...
Grey male with 2 black females

Now i know answer will also depend on the bloodline, leakages etc but lets say all these birds are true colours and wont leak or change colour of babies due to bloodline, what MIGHT i get.. thankyou 😊👍

I like using the kippenjungle calculators ^^
http://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingCQ.html

Ignoring the fact that your birds may Carry genes, this is my prediction/understandings-

1. Black x White should make black chicks, unless your hen's dominant white. I'm not sure exactly what a 'grey paint' would be, generally a paint is a Black bird with one Dominant White gene, perhaps yours is Blue underneath?
1a. If your hen is a regular Paint x Black Roo = 50% black, 50% paint
1b. If your hen is a blue paint x Black Roo = 25% black, 25% blue, 25% paint, 25% blue paint

2a. Blue x Blue = 25% black, 50% blue, 25% splash (50% bowties, 50% non, independent of color)
2b. Blue x Lavender = 50% blue, 50% black (50% bowties, 50% non, independent of color)

3. True Grey silkies from what I've skimmed over the years are similar to Silver Partridge but also *not*, I've never found a true genetic breakdown of it, although assuming its based somewhere partridge-esc, when bred to black hens I'd expect black chicks :D

Ive attatched picture of the grey splash parent of my chick, im only saying grey splash because thats wat the seller advertised i actually dont know but my chick does have grey leakage feathers as its developing into a splash so i assume its correct.. 2nd picture i posted is my grey roo with white siamese silkie i bred these 2 late autumn and they produced a teenie tiny neon chick with black eyes and skin which would have turned out splash or paint eventually sadly it died 3 weeks old so i wont know for sure, i ll look for picture of him and add it im sure i took pic of him with 3 regular size silkies same age. So does that mean next spring grey roo with white could produce grey splash/paint or like u suggest a black?

Thanks for ur predictions its really helped a lot

Yes found pic of teeny weeny next to my blue bowtie

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201124-214629_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20201124-214629_eBay.jpg
    931.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20201130_201648.jpg
    20201130_201648.jpg
    687.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20201025_103649.jpg
    20201025_103649.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 11
I’ll atta h some charts for you but basically Id put all your blues and your splash together. In the chart when it comes to percentages with paints, when it says blue it doesn’t mean a true black. It’s a black chick that came out of a paint breeding.

Ive attatched picture of the grey splash parent of my chick, im only saying grey splash because thats wat the seller advertised i actually dont know but my chick does have grey leakage feathers as its developing into a splash so i assume its correct.. 2nd picture i posted is my grey roo with white siamese silkie i bred these 2 late autumn and they produced a teenie tiny neon chick with black eyes and skin which would have turned out splash or paint eventually sadly it died 3 weeks old so i wont know for sure, i ll look for picture of him and add it im sure i took pic of him with 3 regular size silkies same age. So does that mean next spring grey roo with white could produce grey splash/paint or like u suggest a black?

Thanks for ur predictions its really helped a lot

Yes found pic of teeny weeny next to my blue bowtie

I'm not sure what constitutes it to be a grey splash, I'd assume it's just a nickname for one of the various expressions of splash though :D

I don't think its possible for your Grey x White make splash? Splash is what happens when you got blue x blue, or a splash parent x blue or splash. (assuming your white hen is a recessive white-) On the odd chance that your white hen could be splash or blue underneath, your Grey roo still would be considered "black" on that gene. So your Grey x White (with splash under the white) would make blue offspring, but the chance of this is pretty low unless the white popped up from a splash breeding pen :D (similar thing with if she was blue underneath, 50% blue, 50% black chicks) I don't know what that chick was who passed, it could be a lot of things, or white like it's mom : )

(if your white hen is a dominant white you'll have roughly 50% to 100% white chicks ^^")

I'm not sure what constitutes it to be a grey splash, I'd assume it's just a nickname for one of the various expressions of splash though :D

I don't think its possible for your Grey x White make splash? Splash is what happens when you got blue x blue, or a splash parent x blue or splash. (assuming your white hen is a recessive white-) On the odd chance that your white hen could be splash or blue underneath, your Grey roo still would be considered "black" on that gene. So your Grey x White (with splash under the white) would make blue offspring, but the chance of this is pretty low unless the white popped up from a splash breeding pen :D (similar thing with if she was blue underneath, 50% blue, 50% black chicks) I don't know what that chick was who passed, it could be a lot of things, or white like it's mom : )

(if your white hen is a dominant white you'll have roughly 50% to 100% white chicks ^^")
So even tho my roo is grey, i should class in my mind hes black to fogure out his breeding colour capabilities? Because that would make it easier to presume what he could produce.
So the mini chick you think he could of turned out white? Even tho he was neon? Thinking about it actually ive only hatched 3 neons and they turned out 1 lav 1 splash and the dead one, so is there a chance the dead one could of been a super light blue seeing as ur presuming possibility of blue? All blues ive hatched come out dark almost black when born then very noticably blue when fluffed up.

Back
Top Bottom