Mixing types of bedding

GoodGuinea

Songster
Aug 26, 2019
Pennsylvania
I've always used pine shavings in my coop, but I recently bought some straw because I thought it might be warmer this winter. Is it okay to mix them, or is it best to stick with one type of bedding?

Also, I currently have a lot of leaves to rake up. Can I put some of them into the coop and/or run also?

I don't see a problem with some straw, as it will breakdown like the shavings, just a little slower. I personally wouldn't use a lot of straw as it holds moisture longer and doesn't decompose as well.
As for leaves, absolutely in the run and again I don't see a problem for the coop. Shavings just smell better and seem to absorb the coop poop better than leaves, since moisture in the coop is an enemy.

Plus your chickens don't use coop bedding for warmth really, they'll just fluff up their feathers on the roost to create an insulation effect (more air pockets to be heated by their body temperature thus keeping them warm). It's the same as to why home insulation is fluffy, it captures more air to retain heat or cold against the surface.

I personally use only shavings in the coop with straw in the nesting boxes, but the girls love to kick the nesting straw into the coop and pine shavings into the nesting boxes. Now in the run everything is subject to getting tossed in pine shavings, leaves, grass, dead plants, coffee grounds, and shredded paper. Basically if it ever was once green it goes in the run with the brown poop. Also, when you clean out your coop , put the old bedding into the run.

Also, I currently have a lot of leaves to rake up. Can I put some of them into the coop and/or run also?
If they are absolutely dry you can use them in the coop...otherwise no.

I've always used pine shavings in my coop, but I recently bought some straw because I thought it might be warmer this winter. Is it okay to mix them, or is it best to stick with one type of bedding?
I mix a bit of straw into my coop shavings, just dregs from the nests.

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture
-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).
There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.
That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 7 years.

Back
Top Bottom