mixing your own feed

snowflake

Crowing
12 Years
Aug 21, 2009
Belding Michigan
what do you use for protein when you mix your own feed? I have bought some oats, she was out of wheat, hope to get that when it comes in, what else are you putting in. I would like to try mixing whole grains. right now I have oats, scratch grains, BOSS, mixed together that I am using as AM and PM treat, I feed a small soup can for 26 birds, they also get pumpkin and table scraps ,fruit a couple times a week

I'm using peas, spelt, wheat, BOSS & fishmeal along with minerals. The peas & fishmeal allow me to get the protein to where I want it. If I figured right my 4 grains are about 16% before the fishmeal, but I add that for animal protein. Hope this helps.

IMO one needs to really engineer your feed being sure it is balanced in amino acids and nutrients..

I feed this:

6 part Black Oil Sunflower (17%P)
6 part Oats (12%P)
6 parts Red Wheat (17%P)

3 part Field Peas (24%P)
3 part cracked Corn (9%P)
3 part whole Flax (34%P)
3 part Alfalfa (17%P)
.5 part fish meal (60%P) up to 1 part for 19% P

.5 part Kelp (15%P)
.125 Oyster shell
.125 DE
.125 Azomite

I also free choice oyster shells.
ON

thank you! I am having a hard time finding DE, can get from the pool place but I doubt that is food grade., what is Azomite? I know you can order the DE on line but would rather get it local.

I feed them a tin of tuna every few days to increase the protein in their diet. After doing this for a couple of weeks they no longer rip off my fingers for it.

In the interest of ensuring they get the right mix of foods, I just give them a wide variety of grains. Wheat, Peas, Lupins, Black Sunflower Seeds, Corn, Lucerne Chaff, and A free feeder of Shell Grit.

I'm planning on adding sesame seeds to this soon, and if I ever get down to the beach, bringing home some seaweed thats washed up (because I think thats the kind of kelp we need).

As for the mix, it was 2 wheats to 1 of any other kind of grain (gave roughly 18% protein) but I'm also planning on slowly modifying it. For example they just finished off the mix, and I noticed that there were heaps of peas left over, whereas they used to go nuts for peas. So I assume that there are too many peas inthe mix, so next time, I will make it with less peas.

I feed the mix two ways.
1. I grind all the ingredients and feed it dry in feeders. This is available to the birds 24x7. I also offer unlimited oyster shells free choice.

2. I sprout the whole grain wheat, oats and BOSS. I grind the rest of the ingredients. Twice a day I then serve 2 parts sprout mix to 1 part of the remaining dry ingredients. (I mix the dry powdery things in with the damp sprouts so they stick to them. This way the birds eat everything instead of pick through.)

My birds do not like alfalfa or peas, so I have to "hide" those ingredients.

The azomite is trace minerals:
http://www.azomite.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=60&Itemid=41

I
am considering removing it and using a little molasses instead. The DE is feed grade.. There is much debate about DE, so you could skip it too.

I also give yogurt or other probiotic on a regular basis.

pixie,
It sounds like you have a good mix for your birds... Fun hey!....
wink.png

ON

Back
Top Bottom