MJ's Challenge ~ The Voyage Out

I was just thinking that I'm going to take stock of the year in which it was published, 1915, and acknowledge that Austen and the Brontes pre-date her. So did many other women writers of fiction but they are not as well-remembered so were perhaps not as creative?

It was begun in 1910 ~ well before WWI loomed on the horizon~ but not published till 1915. I think she overlapped with Dorothy L Sayers & certainly the Mitfords & Sitwells. There was quite an upsurge of good female writers @ this period ~ perhaps due to the war.

I am 'enkindled', so am ready to start. Book on its way and will arrive in theory before the end of the week. I got the original 1915 edition (Duckworth) - not sure what that means as it is presumably printed more recently - it isn't second hand.
I've got the Duckworth edition too.

I think it's the edition she'd have looked at with great care, it being her first book.

It was begun in 1910 ~ well before WWI loomed on the horizon~ but not published till 1915. I think she overlapped with Dorothy L Sayers & certainly the Mitfords & Sitwells. There was quite an upsurge of good female writers @ this period ~ perhaps due to the war.
I was thinkimg of women whose names are common place and whose works and biographies are studied.

I made a diagram with one of Google's tools to compare internet searching acroos the world for the women writers we've been discussing.

I hope you can read it ok.

Google only gave me data since 2004. But I guess 17 years is an ok window.

The big assumption here is that web searches approximate public interest. There are vast numbers of people who don't use the internet, so the assumption is actually a little unreliabe.

It's also unfair to count the Brontes individually when they so intensely shaped each others work and died young, leaving so little work. I didn't see how to count them properly and then aggregate the data. So I gave up and didn't count Anne at all.

Screenshot_2021-02-15-06-46-07-86.png

I made a diagram with one of Google's tools to compare internet searching acroos the world for the women writers we've been discussing.

I hope you can read it ok.

Google only gave me data since 2004. But I guess 17 years is an ok window.

The big assumption here is that web searches approximate public interest. There are vast numbers of people who don't use the internet, so the assumption is actually a little unreliabe.

It's also unfair to count the Brontes individually when they so intensely shaped each others work and died young, leaving so little work. I didn't see how to count them properly and then aggregate the data. So I gave up and didn't count Anne at all.

View attachment 2529878
I think if we added all the Brontes, they would get close to VW.

Back
Top Bottom