MJ's Challenge ~ The Voyage Out

Pics
I think this is a really valid point. The lack of obvious humour [ie wit] makes it hard to distinguish the satirical. I have assumed she is being just because her characters are so very unlikable. This is where I think Wilde & the Mitfords are superior. They are often making the same point but are far funnier about it.
Yes. That is exactly what I was trying to express.
And the humor makes the characters more likeable. Both the Mitford father and lady Bracknell (for example) have plenty of characteristics just as unlikeable as the folk in TVA but the wit makes them more endearing.

Last edited:
U and non U is about accent (if I recall correctly) but the para you quote is illustrative of the social context in which the old stratified hierarchy was making room for mobility. Mr Perrot is aware that he's not quite right, a little out of his depth.
You may be right. I thought U/non-U was also word choice but I may be wrong. I wasn’t really meaning it was literally U/non-U, just the same concept of classifying and pin-pointing people’s class by their behavior.
I guess I found the knife and fork bit amusing.

Ok. I'm going to give up on Ribh's original suggestion that we read a chapter a week :gig I think I'm the only person holding to it :gig
Oh sorry. I would be very happy to chat chapter a week but someone will have to remind me what chapter we are on.
I think I may be behind the rest of you but I can catch up this weekend.
Where are we all?

Back
Top Bottom