MJ's Challenge ~ The Voyage Out

Pics
Oh no, sorry, I didn’t mean in this particular book about the repetitive words. Hasn’t been noticeable to me if it’s happening in this novel.
It was a general comment about more recent books!
Apologies, I should have made it a separate comment
All good. I've already whinged about her repetitive use of *light* 😆

I am with holding judgement. I doubt a writer as good as Woolfe has unintentionally used words repetitively. I am also unsure whether she has yet settled into her *voice* because I would agree she sounds quite stilted @ times. At others I agree with MJ, she is quite poetic but it makes for an unevenness of style @ present.
Yes. I think that was my issue in getting into it. I can’t (at least not yet) care about the characters, and I am not swept along by the prose.

That does it! Mr Dalloway is a cad & a bounder!

I think we may now safely say the use of light is quite deliberate as an indicator of Rachel's sexual awakening - amongst other things. Whether it also indicates others awakenings is probably too early to say but it is possible Mrs Dalloway is enlightened to some of her husbands darker traits though she says she knows his faults. If she really did I doubt she would leave Rachel alone with him.

Last edited:
That does it! Mr Dalloway is a cad & a bounder!

I think we may now safely say the use of light is quite deliberate as an indicator of Rachel's sexual awakening - amongst other things. Whether it also indicates others awakenings is probably too early to say but it is possible Mrs Dalloway is enlightened to some of her husbands darker traits though she says she knows his faults. If she really did I doubt she would leave Rachel alone with him.
A cad and a bounder, love it! 😂

Back
Top Bottom