MJ's little flock

Thank you - well spotted! It is a refurbished oil lamp holder - I have a couple of them. I cleaned them up and hang them high up out of chicken reach and put a cup of scratch grain on them. That way if I am ever desperate to get the chickens in or out I have a bribe ready to hand. They know the sound of the grain rattling in the tin mug.
I placed the two holders strategically by the door to the chicken garden and the door to my chicken free storage so I can get them in or out if I have to!
What a good idea!

Where did the lamp holders come from? I've never seen any before.

It was fine RC. I barely touched that spot of my scalp and it seems the scab has no intention of moving yet
I had a cut under my eye that got a couple of those butterfly stick on stitches.
I bust the stitches yawning of all things. Trying not to yawn when you're tired is really difficult.:D

This is well said. I want whatever life they have to be joyful.
When I think about what others have gone through, I realise I've been very lucky.

The first three were taken in a fox raid, Sandy was euthanized when her reproductive health failed, Magnus was squashed by Peggy.

Three hens are doing well, one has a chronic respiratory health problem that somehow hasn't passed on to the others.

That seems appalling but take away the fox and squashing, that's only one hen dead from bad health so far and she was red laying hen.

This may seem like an odd thing to share, but I'm so excited and happy to have a new drain for the kitchen sink!!

The 1920s lead drain was absolutely stuffed, both literally and figuratively!

I filled the sink with water and pulled the plug just to try it out and water drained away before I'd counted to 5!!! Ok, it is a small sink, but before the water was almost at a standstill.

Ahhhh the kitchen somehow feels cleaner now...

View attachment 3176334

View attachment 3176340

View attachment 3176337
That's unusually neat for builders.

While that's true my bantams seem to be hardier than my standards. :idunnoPartly I suspect because the ornamental chooks aren't bred for eggs so all those problems no longer apply. Of my girls, those who are not super layers seem to be doing best ~ including Ha'penny & Luna, who, while regular layers, have never laid every day. Having access to new ground regularly helps too I think. I'm noticing the girls change favourite spots regularly giving the ground a chance to recover & any germs a chance to dissipate.
That's good food for thought Ribh. I've been contemplating commuting between Adelaide and Sydney for a great job but I when I consider the ramifications for the hens, who might possibly be confined to the run Monday -friday, I can't do it.

I had a cut under my eye that got a couple of those butterfly stick on stitches.
I bust the stitches yawning of all things. Trying not to yawn when you're tired is really difficult.:D
Once you think you need to yawn, there's no holding back!

When I think about what others have gone through, I realise I've been very lucky.

The first three were taken in a fox raid, Sandy was euthanized when her reproductive health failed, Magnus was squashed by Peggy.

Three hens are doing well, one has a chronic respiratory health problem that somehow hasn't passed on to the others.

That seems appalling but take away the fox and squashing, that's only one hen dead from bad health so far and she was red laying hen.
Yes, the really good layers don't seem to last too long. My head count isn't that good but the weather & stress seems to have taken a toll this year. It's just not usually the bantams I have issues with.

Back
Top Bottom