MJ's little flock

Nice cup holder!
Thank you - well spotted! It is a refurbished oil lamp holder - I have a couple of them. I cleaned them up and hang them high up out of chicken reach and put a cup of scratch grain on them. That way if I am ever desperate to get the chickens in or out I have a bribe ready to hand. They know the sound of the grain rattling in the tin mug.
I placed the two holders strategically by the door to the chicken garden and the door to my chicken free storage so I can get them in or out if I have to!

:thumbsupThank you - well spotted! It is a refurbished oil lamp holder - I have a couple of them. I cleaned them up and hang them high up out of chicken reach and put a cup of scratch grain on them. That way if I am ever desperate to get the chickens in or out I have a bribe ready to hand. They know the sound of the grain rattling in the tin mug.
I placed the two holders strategically by the door to the chicken garden and the door to my chicken free storage so I can get them in or out if I have to!
Wow! That is very smart!

Honestly, Loz and Bob, things are so likely to go wrong, there's almost no point in worrying. It will happen, the only question is when.

(I have been internally preparing for Jan's euthanasia, but of course I will wait until such time Mark suggests it as an option for her.)

Much as I'm beginning to see the virtue of clean, concrete floors and pellets all day long, I can't separate the hens from the plants and bugs of the backyard, because it brings them joy. I'd rather they lived a short, joyful life than a long miserable one.

I think our best bet is to keep our flocks ticking along with healthy food and minimal interference, and to accept that some individual hens simply aren't robust enough to withstand a backyard context (and to count our blessings when we have few who are robust enough). And that's got more to do with breeding than husbandry. Selecting for beauty or breed standard is as questionable as selecting for eggs or meat, and I haven't yet found breeders who select for longevity and vitality.
While that's true my bantams seem to be hardier than my standards. :idunnoPartly I suspect because the ornamental chooks aren't bred for eggs so all those problems no longer apply. Of my girls, those who are not super layers seem to be doing best ~ including Ha'penny & Luna, who, while regular layers, have never laid every day. Having access to new ground regularly helps too I think. I'm noticing the girls change favourite spots regularly giving the ground a chance to recover & any germs a chance to dissipate.

While that's true my bantams seem to be hardier than my standards. :idunnoPartly I suspect because the ornamental chooks aren't bred for eggs so all those problems no longer apply. Of my girls, those who are not super layers seem to be doing best ~ including Ha'penny & Luna, who, while regular layers, have never laid every day. Having access to new ground regularly helps too I think. I'm noticing the girls change favourite spots regularly giving the ground a chance to recover & any germs a chance to dissipate.
I’m hoping my bad luck with bantams is just that; bad luck. Snowy seems to be going great, although she was yelling her head off at 6.50 this morning as she was up but Tegan and Nyssa were still in bed!

Back
Top Bottom