MJ's little flock

I actually don’t have a real dedicated place for my flock, but I’m thinking I should even if I’m the only one on the thread 😆😆😆 I am usually posting about my chicken children in this thread though -

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-did-you-do-with-your-flock-today.1371402/page-574

I have a lot of chickens (chicken math got me good!!) but I love every single one of them! 😍 My daughter and I can name and tell apart each one…we are officially obsessed 😆

I attached a few so you can see them, but I won’t bombard your thread with all of them 😆😆 Some of the crew…we are a suburban chicken “farm” :)
I lost count.:lol:

That's a great spot in case you need to seperate one or do medical stuff given they seem quite at home there.
I'm going to try and keep it available for exactly that reason but with the house renovations ongoing, it's tempting to use it for storage.

Mary has her follow up this morning, so I took her off the roost last night and put her in her basket.

This morning she was out of the basket! So I've had to corner her and pick her up. Not easy, but I managed it with quick, calm gentleness. She managed it with less scampering and fewer cries for help than I expected.

So now she's strapped in.

IMG_2022-09-23-07-34-18-381.jpg

I've been hatching plans to make a chicken transport box with leftover scraps of ply from the roost build. Imagine a suitcase shape slightly wider than a really big hen with a large side door that folds down and a sunk floor that can hold woodshavings, with a thick perch. Possibly with removable casters. Or with a custom fit dolly. Handle on the top and a handle each side. Space for fitting food and water for longer journeys.

Mary has her follow up this morning, so I took her off the roost last night and put her in her basket.

This morning she was out of the basket! So I've had to corner her and pick her up. Not easy, but I managed it with quick, calm gentleness. She managed it with less scampering and fewer cries for help than I expected.

So now she's strapped in.

View attachment 3268522

I've been hatching plans to make a chicken transport box with leftover scraps of ply from the roost build. Imagine a suitcase shape slightly wider than a really big hen with a large side door that folds down and a sunk floor that can hold woodshavings, with a thick perch. Possibly with removable casters. Or with a custom fit dolly. Handle on the top and a handle each side. Space for fitting food and water for longer journeys.
But your basket is so stylish!
So far I have found a cat carrier to be pretty effective. Some of mine have needed putting in, but others are sufficiently nosy that they go in the moment I open it up inside the coop just to investigate!

But your basket is so stylish!
So far I have found a cat carrier to be pretty effective. Some of mine have needed putting in, but others are sufficiently nosy that they go in the moment I open it up inside the coop just to investigate!
I've had mixed success with the cat carrier! It's tricky getting both arms in through the end door or through the top. And it seems to require both of my hands with the hens at my house.

The basket is stylish and easy to carry but sometimes the handle is in the way, it's a v tight fit for mary and now she knows how to climb out of it.

Hi Michelle! It's been eventful at my place, with Mary developing slow crop. Fast forward two weeks and she's recuperating really well from surgery to repair a hernia and to remove accumulated fatty tissue that blocked off her digestive and reproductive systems. How's life for you? All good?
Wow, MJ! That is quite a lot! Amazing that they can remove fatty tissue. You must have an excellent Avian Vet!

All is well here. You probably heard that I had Cashew put down, but everybody else is doing well for the most part. All five of my older girls are molting heavily, but the younger ones seem to be doing OK. Flash stopped laying, and I hope that means she has a molt coming on, too.

Back
Top Bottom