MJ's little flock

We have electified scooters here that one can hire which are legal and are supposed to be ridden on the road. We also have lots of completely illegal scooters some of which have been tuned up.

The students use the scooters most in the city and they are a total menace.
https://visitbristol.co.uk/your-visit/travelling-around-bristol/escooters

iu
Yeh those tap and go escooters are a problem. Bike helmets are mandatory in South Australia (not sure about the other states) but people using scooters don't always wear helmets. There have been some nasty injuries in crashes. Iirc, the ts&cs divest the scooter provider of responsibility for injury following from scooter failure. This is inconsistent with consumer protection laws and was tested in the local court recently. I can't recall the outcome.

One of the escooter startups began by providing a helmet with every scooter but of course they were all stolen or thrown in the lake.

We also recently changed the road rules so bikes could use footpaths. I think that's safer for everyone using our road network but I doubt it would work in places where footpaths are narrow. I imagine escooters are a nightmare in any city with crowded footpaths.

Last edited:
I've got a sparrow problem again. When the tradie put the roof on the roost, he cut through some of my sparrow defences. I've put myself on 'watch and build defences' duty.

On the weekend I tied a huge hole closed. Since I did that, once they're in, they can't get out. I haven't yet spied how they're getting in. Maybe today I'll take my work outdoors and keep an eye on the sparrow situation.

The committee I chair had a big win yesterday and now the ICT profession in Australia has a more aspirational code of ethics. There was some (very loud and bullying) resistance but in the end those in resistance failed to drum up sufficient support, even with scare-mongering tactics. So, the committee's labours have been fruitful.

Back
Top Bottom