MJ's little flock

Mary

Mary is a black Australorp. She is the prettiest of my three chickens with iridescent black plumage and big black eyes that go blink-blink in a very charming way.

Favourite hobby: drinking. Mary is a waterholic.

Favourite saying: wohr-wohr

Rank: formerly Lieutenant, now Captain. Captain's rank was obtained by strategically using her weight, agility and determination to obtain the top spot on the roost from the disgraced former Captain, Janet.

Named after: Mary is named after Mary Kopscanyi. Mary Kopscanyi was my Nana's great-niece. Mary showed me kindness and love from the day I was born until the day she died. Her house is across the street from my house (both houses were built at the same time by the same person - my great-great uncle) but it is now owned by a lovely young family of four. Mary's house was built for her grandmother, Sarah, who was my grandmother's oldest sister. Tragically, Mary's mother died young, so Sarah provided Mary with a loving home and family life. Mary passed away quite suddenly in 2016, although she was well into her 80s. Her husband, Frank, died in 2017. They are both survived by their daughter Elizabeth who I don't call often enough. I'll call her today. Mary the chicken helps me keep Mary Kopscanyi's memory alive.

View attachment 1922925
She is beautiful, tres belle

Not a bad choice. All round he's done very well, especially given he didn't have a dad or mum to show him the ropes. He's a bit overwhelmed atm because he's got a large tribe, too many for him to cope with properly.
No deputies?

I think it helps that the other two hens are focussed on the youngsters now, so Sandy isn't in their sights any longer (except when Mary corrects Sandy's overzealous pecking of Peggy). The other bonus are the new levels of roosts because Sandy's left alone at bedtime. I wish I'd moved sooner with the different levels but it didn't occur to me until I was thinking of five needing roosts, and then Ivy flew up and left Peggy to deal with the storm of pecking.

All this, and pullers to chase. And fewer pains in the ovaries.

I'm hoping 2020 will be Sandy's year to really flourish.

I believe that this is going to be Sandy's year for sure. I am very excited for her.

Peggy's Eggies for brekky

View attachment 2026378

Verdict: super delicious!

They didn't stiffen like Janet's eggs. They were closer to Sandy's in (un)stiffness.

The first one she laid had a papery shell but the subsequent shells were very strong.

Also Janet's eggs are richer.

However, the novelty factor of cracking blue eggs was very high (sorry Bob)

:barnie

Peggy's Eggies for brekky

View attachment 2026378

Verdict: super delicious!

They didn't stiffen like Janet's eggs. They were closer to Sandy's in (un)stiffness.

The first one she laid had a papery shell but the subsequent shells were very strong.

Also Janet's eggs are richer.

However, the novelty factor of cracking blue eggs was very high (sorry Bob)
Sssshhh. But I've got one now too.🤫

Back
Top Bottom